Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #1 
aslan

Unhappy sick betta with one white spot

I have had my fish for 5 months. He lives in a 1.6 gallon tank with a filter. It is currently 78 degrees and ammonia is at 0. Unknown pH... I treat the tap water to remove metals, chlorine, and chloramine. I occasionally use amquel to remove ammonia and nitrites. I use aquarium salt whenever I do complete water changes (weekly). He has had some mild-moderate tail rot in the past treated with water changes or antibiotics.

My fish has a single white spot on his mouth. It is small and doesn't appear fuzzy. He is lethargic and hasn't really eaten in 5 days. I treated with 4 days (suggested course) of E.M. erythromycin (antibiotic), which I have not used before. His condition did not appear to improve, so i decided to try rid-ich plus for 3 days. Again, his condition didn't appear to improve and I now doubt that he has ich since he only has a single white spot. I did a complete water change today and am not sure what to do now. Any suggestions for treatment or cause of the white spot? Sorry for the lack of picture, but it is small, very white, has not grown, and does appear cottony
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 
Sea Dragon

Ich would look like a grain of salt. Does the white spot look like it's a part of your betta's skin? Like a patch?
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #3 
aslan

It looks like a grain of salt. Should i continue with the ich-rid?
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Sea Dragon

If the medication recommends only one period of treatment, then probably not. If it says that it's repeatable, then you can try. However, aquarium salt and 82 degree F water should get rid of ich after a week or so.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote