Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #11 
mablisboa

hey guys... my fishy is acting better but the spots still there, i'm only able to see them with my flash light, does it normally takes this long?? i just feel bad for him, he is all day alone in the dark.. he goes ballistic when he sees me or my kids, i think he misses us too. I've been doing everything you guys told me to do.. my water is at 85 degrees, 3tsp salt, 100% water change every day (his getting really stressed out with this)... should i keep doing it??? even though his not acting sick anymore?? :(

TIA
mablisboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Do you think you can get a pic of him? Some bettas naturally have a gold iridescence and I'm wondering if the leftover spots are that. But I do have to be honest, velvet is a real pain to get rid of and it can take a while. This is because only one stage (I think it's the cyst stage but not sure) responds to chemical treatment so generally salt is the best way to go but can take longer since you aren't killing the parasites per se, only causing them to fall off so they can be removed via water changes.

If he's not darting anymore, you can try dropping the water changes down to 50% (this way you don't have to remove him from the tank).

Although I'm a bit hesitant about this, you can try leaving his tank in the open again so he can see you. Continue with the salt treatment for another week but drop the heat down to 82 degrees. If the gold spots increase again, immediately get him back into high heat and darkness.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #13 
mablisboa

Thanks Sakura8, here is some pictures of him... let me know what you think!!
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #14 
mablisboa

other one... this one you can see it better
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #15 
mablisboa

His turning a little red... so cute ... and like i said is acting really good and eating like a pig... today he almost jumped out of his thank when he saw his food... he scared the crap out of me!!! lol

let me know!!! and thanks again.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Gosh, he's handsome! I don't see any gold spots on him, definitely not velvet gold spots but of course, you would know him better than I would. But from my view, he looks very well. He should be okay to go back into the light and to have the temp reduced but I would still continue the salt for a few days more. You can start to drop the salt dosage down from 3 tsps to 1 tsp. Keep him on 1 tsp for two days and then take him completely off.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #17 
mablisboa

Thanks ;).. On the second picture you can see a little better... and yeah he's looking much better and acting much better...

I'm glad to hear that...

I really appreciate all your help!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #18 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Keep us updated on how hte little guy is doing. :)

Tags
maracide, veltet