Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-83
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Betta Formula and bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily, 3 pellets per meal. On wednesday and sunday skip pellets and feed 4 freeze dried bloodworms split up between two meals instead

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon ammonia neutralizer( which also neutralizes chlorine and chloramine) and Ph down. Currently reducing amount of PH down because recommended to do so. Should be done using it on monday.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: Somwhere above 7.6
Hardness: 20-30 grains of hardness
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body is slightly paler than used to be.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hardly swims, lays on thermometer suction cup and gravel almost all the time. Last several days has started free falling down after getting air. This happens once in a while. Other times after getting air swims down. Seems to have trouble getting air sometimes. Movements are somewhat jerky.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About one and a half months ago. Has gotten worse last several days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Probably
How old is your fish (approximately)? See below

Some friends won him at a fair in August 2010. They kept him in a 1 liter container, changed his water once a month, and didn't use dechlorinator. They used well water. We got him from them in June. He looked horrid but got better quickly. He could have been old when he was at the fair, I don't know. He seems weak and I think medications would stress him out. Is he just old, is he getting sick, or is the abuse finally catching up to him? I have AQ salt, Epsom salts, and Maracyn 1 & 2. We don't really want to take extraordinary measures if this is the natural end of his life, he has been thoroughly spoiled since his arrival here, and is a beloved fishy member of our family. If there is something we could do to help him, we'd like to, but we don't want to prolong his suffering unnecessarily. We also have clove oil and vodka if he gets really bad and needs to be euthanized. Thank you in advance.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

I got API Stress Coat today because it is highly reccomended. It's supposed to reduce stress with fish, but will it stress Toby out if I put it in now?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

I added the API stress coat. It didn't really help. He spends almost all of the time at the bottom of the tank, and his tail and anal fins seem to be getting shorter. There are no signs of fin rot. His poop is short, bright red, thin, and curled into a U shape. Please help!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 
Tobythefish

I messed up describing the poop. It is very bright red, very skinny, probably about an inch long, with a white tip at one end. It is curled into a spiral shape. That is the biggest one. The others look the same except that they're shorter than 1 inch. I'm not sure if it is poop, but I don't see any normal poops and he's not bloated, so it must be. I hope this helps. Please help. Could it just be that his past abuse is catching up to him?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would try aquarium salt. Do you know instructions on that?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

The medications that you have are good too. Maracyn 1 & 2.
I just texted Oldfishlady asked to look at your post. She knows all natural remedies.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #7 
Tobythefish

I do know instructions on that. Start at 1 tsp. per gallon predissolved, and if no improvement, slowly increase to 2-3 tsp. per gallon, right? That would be easy since I change his water today anyways. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

1 tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. You can use aquarium not iodized salt only for 10 days.
Pre-mix it in 1gall jug to make correct daily dosage and water changes easier.
Usually Oldfish lady recommending to QT fish in small container for the treatment and maintain a water temp of 76-78*.

You can use a gall from spring water or milk. If it from milk you need to rinse with water very well.

Or if you don't want qt then i guess you can keep him in his 1 gall.

Wait a little I am wondering what Oldfish lady will recommend I did text her.

Keep us update.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

not bloated very skinny...and his poop has white tip on the end..it might be internal parasites...

EDIT: For internal parasites Epsom salt is recommended so wait with aq salt....
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well......

It sounds like he may be aging out, however, it never hurts to try since these guys can really surprise you.....but like you posted you also don't want to prolong his suffering......

At this point-either aquarium salt or Epsom salt, personally I would use Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal and tannins if you have some-either IAL or Oak leaf, lower water level, no water movement, dim lights, plastic veggie wrap over the top to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ, water temp 77-80F

Normally I would recommend that you use a small QT, however, since it may be age related-sometimes it is best to keep them in their regular tank when housed alone already-just lower the water level so its easier for him to reach the top for air and cover the top to increase humidity to make them the most comfortable.

If you have a tannin source-add the dried leaves to the tank so that they can slowly release tannins to get the water darker.

I would use a cup of the tank water to dissolve the Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal and slowly add it to the tank over about and hour-longer if needed....

Water changes-I wouldn't do any 100% at this point-I would Premix some treatment water- use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the tannins and Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal and make 25% daily water only changes
Epsom salt is safe to use long term and with live plants-and if you have any live plants you can float in the tank with him so that he can use them to rest on-that can be helpful to make him feel more secure and comfy....

With end of life issues-its more important to make them comfy, limit stress...etc.....and if he looks to be suffering-you need to do what is right by him and by the sounds of your post....you have a good understanding of this as well as prepared......

Nutrition-if he wants to eat-feed him good quality varied diet in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer a few rinsed..

Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote