Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 
Misakitty

Sudden Onset with Rapid Deterioration

Tank Size: 10 gallons, shallow fill- breeding tank
Temperature: 82F
Filter: No running filter
Heated
Food: pellet, freeze dried bloodworm

The tank is a standard breeding setup with a filter, plants, clear hood, and a new heater that I have been gradually raising the temperature of. Today it reached 82F.

Ivan has open sores on his head, strange red tumor-like objects on his pectoral fin, sudden large patches of gray finnage on his caudal and dorsal fins, dissolving fins, paleness, lethargy, clamped fins, cloudy eyes, loss of appetite, and possibly some areas of deteriorating slime coat. Just about everything that could be wrong is wrong, though his scales are not pine-coning and there is no sign of fungus.

12 hours ago he was perfectly fine, enjoying his tank. I moved him to the breeding tank a few days ago in preparation for spawning. He had recovered a few weeks ago from a very minor case of fin rot and was showing no signs of additional fin loss, only regrowth. Suddenly this afternoon he was like this, and I'm trying to figure out if this is an infection or something more serious like tuberculosis, or if it is some sort of contamination in the tank; I think he is a lost cause, but if what he has is contagious I need to find out. I want to make sure I know what it is because if the breeding tank is contaminated I will have to start all over again.

For the time being I moved him to a smaller tank with Aq Salt. He seems a tiny bit perkier, but I don't know if that is just from the excitement of being moved.

I'll try to get some pictures.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
Misakitty

Here are the best photos I could get of him. Even barely moving, he doesn't cooperate with the camera.

This is one of his areas of sudden fin death.

I circled the part of his gill that keeps sticking out, a weird red nubby thing on his head, and the open sore. I couldn't get a picture of the red nubby thing on his fin even though it's bigger.

He is my favorite fish so I'm very upset that he's seriously ill.

This is what he looked like before:

He was so beautiful.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Has this tank ever given you problems before or is it brand new? Any new accessories like gravel, decorations, or heater?

I witnessed graying/blackening of the fins after a faulty heater. Also paleness, lethargy, and cloudy eye. I'm not sure Ivan is having a reaction to something or if he's developed an illness, but I would strongly suggest quarantining him and changing his water 100% daily (I did twice 100% daily changes along with epsom salt at 2 tsp/gal for chemical poisoning and burns).

Definitely see if being in completely fresh water helps him out at all and start on some epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal. Also, check out anything that could be leaching chemicals or dyes into the water. check your heater for any leaks that may have developed as well.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 
Misakitty

The tank itself is not new, but the Aqueon 50watt heater is brand new. I rinsed it and set it up according to the instructions, and it has been running in there for 3 days. How can I tell if there is leaking? This is my first time dealing with a heater so I'm not sure what to look for.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 
iceyrose

Try checking the ph....?maby go with fresh 100% water change with aquarium salt with api stress coat for a week...
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Smell your water for a sweet or sulfur-y smell. Look for any water inside the heater (If it's a clear glass type) or take it out of the water and tip it from side to side while listening for a swishing of water. Or look for any bubbles near soft plastic parts.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #7 
Misakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Smell your water for a sweet or sulfur-y smell. Look for any water inside the heater (If it's a clear glass type) or take it out of the water and tip it from side to side while listening for a swishing of water. Or look for any bubbles near soft plastic parts.
So... I'm guessing that condensation -inside- the heater is not what is supposed to happen... I read the heater information backwards and forwards when I put it in, but it never described normal functioning, so I really didn't know that water inside the glass was abnormal. Now I feel dumb. I don't know why he got sick today suddenly though, rather than when I first put it in.

Ivan is looking better, his pectoral fins don't look clamped anymore. I have him next to me so I can keep an eye on him all night. I should treat him with Epsom rather than Aq salt then? Out of curiosity, why is Epsom better in this case?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 
Misakitty

I just smelled the water, and it is vile. It is definitely not a smell I am use to getting from any of my tanks. I'm guessing I should replace all the water in the tank before proceeding; are there any other steps I need to take to make it safe for spawning again? (other than getting a different heater)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #9 
iceyrose

Well if u think the problem is from the heater such as posioning then the empsom salt would prolly helpflush any of that out.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #10 
Misakitty

Just an update, Ivan the terrible is doing better in his old tank half filled, with Epsom salt. His fins are coming off in chunks any time he is moved, but he definitely seems less stressed and isn't lying on the bottom now. I guess it's a good thing I had a back-up pair for breeding. Assuming this is some sort of poison instance from the heater, is rinsing the plants enough to make them safe again?