Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Question aging bettas?

I wanna tell how old pog is. his fins r ruffled at the end, odd for a veil tail, but the tetras were nippy, im just surprised it hasnt repaired well. hes bigger tan tha girls, at least twice as long not inckuding fins, and twice as tall too. hes huge. any ideas? other ways to tell?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

how long you had him? has he built bubblenest?
if he is from a store, you can't really tell besides there personality (sometimes)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 
Mo

if he has somewhat long fins he is probably around 6 months to 1 year old given that you just purchased him recently
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

bought hi maybeeeee almost a year ago. he used to make bubble nests but they get messed up in water changes. his fins r long.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

When my males start to age out-usually starting in the 2+ year range-they will start getting lighter in color on the head and face, get a hump back, with some the back end/tail will droop more, activity level decreases, they may or may not still make bubble nest, appetite decrease slightly-but not always, fins generally stay intact and long since fish never stop growing, however, I have spawned some of my older males successfully after 3 years of age....and so.... IMO/E the aging process in this species can vary based on genetic, overall health/health history, diet/nutrition, water quality/water temp, exercise to name a few....

It can be really hard to guess age since so many things can vary with the aging process......

If you bought him from a pet shop-he was most likely about 6-8mo-1yr old already and owing him for near 12mo-he most likely is in the 2 year old range-depending on genetic, water temp, nutrition, stress/health history, exercise and water quality.....he may be aging out.....hard to say....but I wouldn't base it on lack of bubble nest and tattered fins since a lot of other things can cause that.....

Can you post a pic and give more history.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

my cam sucks. i dont hav much history he has a laid back life really hes been in 2 solitary tanks and 1 community tank and hes in the tank i used second for him. so is that too much tank changing?

there really isnt much history here. He has always been fat, used to be like wayyyyyy over eating so i put him in a solitary tank to better control his eating.

rite now he just chills at the top of the tank probs cuz of needin air but the bubbler 4 his tank broke n the other one is too big 4 his tank.

maybe ill hav 2 get him a hammock. lol he has a pretty boring life. i have him on the drinks table we use wen we have parties so during parties hes more active, cuz everything around him moves, but thats like once a week. o i also just recently moved his tank there like on sunday for a party i thot he wud look cool.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

ill add a vid tomorrow maybe? wen i get a chance
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

hey how do u get to be a super moderator? just askin!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhfS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Poorly bred bettas seem to age faster *cough cough ALL PET STORE BETTAS*. I know of breeders that have fish at two years of age spawning and building nests.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote