Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 
meve

What EXACTLY is a marble?

Once again, I see alot of posts about marbles transformations. I thought that a marbles has some spots on it so you could tell he is a marble. But I read 3 posts and their fish did not have any of that spot at the beginning. I read about 2 "solid' whites one who turned red and one blue/black who turned yellow!

So if you dont know their genetic, and you cant see any spot, how do you know its a marble?
meve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 
kfryman

Marble is just a color pattern, actually it isn't a pattern. It refers to anything really that has irregular color markings, like a koi angel fish. Also marbles will go through dramatic changes, like the ones mentioned.

Research for your self also, it helps you out in the long run because most people aren't going to type out essays on here.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
Luimeril

a marble betta is a betta with a color that changes. not, like... light blue to deep midnight blue. like.... a red and white betta that turns TOTALLY red. or shocks you by gaining some yellow. i have a marble, my veiltail Sniper:

he's ALOT more blue now! i'll have to get an updated picture soon. he's also gaining some white on his fins. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Dont know if this is true or not but its an intersting story:

Quote:
Marble
The marble betta was created in the beginning of the 1970s by Orville Gulley, a prison inmate at the penal institute in Indiana [3, 8]. Orville as breeding betta here in peanut butter jars, as part of a rehabilitation program. The story goes that Orville was trying to create a black butterfly betta which then led to the discovery of the marble gene. Walt Maurus and a handfull of other breeders started to breed the marbles for pattern and this lead to the distrubution of the marbles all over the United States. The orginal marbles were black and white but now they are available in virtually every color imaginable.
In young marbles bettas the marble pattern can shift from week to week and once the fish matures most of the times the pattern is fixed.

The marble mutation appears to be a partly dominant gene, the marble (Mb) gene, which has a highly variable expression. When marbles are introduced into a true-breeding solid colored line, it is becomes very difficult for the breeder to return his stock to a non-marble true-breeding solid colored type.
The short answer is a fish that changes color. Normally its a white fish that turns darker - like blue or red. However a darker fish can also turn lighter. I seen pics of a blue CT that turned to a red butterfly. I dont knw the genetics behind it - i just know the fish changes colors

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 
Luimeril

here's an amazing change. from the betty splendens website:

those are all the same fish! O_O i don't know how long the change lasted, but it's still amazing! i'm excited to see how my Sniper changes as he ages! he could go in any direction! he has black(on his fins), blue(body, obviously), and red(a ! on his head, cute!), so...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

that is a very good example. the "pure white fish" possibly have irregular spots, unseen to your eye....except possibly with difference in how the light refelcts on the body, and the angle ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #7 
Luimeril

you can sometimes tell a marble from non-marbles because of the odd way their coloring is. if you look at my Sniper, he's obviously something different. if you'd look at him now, you'd not really recognize the fish in the photo!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I think I saw your thread on your betta.... Could you share with the OP? I thought it was an amazing change
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

Marbles carry the "jumping gene". Meaning they morph into other colors at different parts of the body or all at once.

I have heard of someone who shipped a mostly white marble betta to a show. Two days later they opened they box at the show and the fish was a solid royal blue!

Marbles are FUN but with a breeder like me who likes to spawn solids they are major NO to breeding into my solid lines. I do own several marbles and marble genos but they stay in their own lines.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #10 
copperarabian

Here's a cool yellow, platinum, and copper marble

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote