Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
cataze

Question Too busy to eat???

Hi everyone!

I just moved my betta from his temporary (while my big tank was finishing cycling) 3g tank to his new cycled 20g tank a couple of days ago.

When I first got him and put him in the 3g, he never showed any signs of stress. He loved the space right away, and swam around all day long. I waited a day to feed him, and never had any problems.

I moved him over to the 20g on Monday night. I acclimatized him, and finally put him in. He immediately started swimming around....and he hasn't stopped! It's not a frantic type of swimming, but he just swims and swims and swims.

He had a plant with him in the 3g that he would sleep in. I got a taller version of the same plant for the 20g, and there are lots of other plants (plastic/silk), a cave and a Betta Log in there. It doesn't seem like he ever sleeps! He just swims. He swims from one side to the other side, front to back, down to inspect the gravel....he loops around and around the heater, goes behind the filter outlet (which I have baffled with a sponge) and then swims out and rides the current over and over.

It looks like he's happy. He doesn't look distressed, he doesn't have stress stripes or anything. But he just won't stop moving.

I tried to feed him on several occasions yesterday and this morning, but he just doesn't pay attention to me. He's too busy swimming!

In the 3g I would tap the front of the tank with a mini spoon that I use to scoop the pellets out. As soon as he saw the spoon he would come zooming over and wait at the top for his pellets. I would drop one in at a time, and he would follow the spoon and eat them. Even when I wasn't feeding him, he would swim up to me when I was looking into his tank.

I've tried everything to get him to notice me or the spoon, but he doesn't.

Will he eventually stop and notice that he's hungry? Should I be worried, or is this normal? I knew he would need to inspect his new territory, but I didn't expect him to be so pre-occupied with it!

This is my first fish of any kind, so I don't know whether I should wait it out or worry.

Thanks for any advice!
Cate

Last edited by cataze; 04-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 
Laki

Hm, it sounds like he's just excited about his new space. He might not know where you feed him. Perhaps getting some frozen bloodworms to sink (they sink slowly and do it one or two at a time and then scoop out what he doesn't eat)
Take note of where he goes to the surface to breath. Then kind of wait there with food. Bettas are little piggies and he will want to eat! Maybe the jump in 17 gallons was too much for him!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
cataze

Thanks for the advice! I have freeze-dried blood worms, but not frozen. I'll try and pick some up. I have been watching him a lot over the past couple of days and he doesn't seem to come up to breathe in the same place. I guess I'll just try and follow him and wait for him to come up.

My husband just tried to feed him lunch...got him to eat one pellet, then he swam away and kept swimming around again.

It's so funny because he looks like a kid in a candy shop....swimming around and playing!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #4 
cataze

When I got home from work, I.checked in Akira. He was still happily swimming all over the place.

I got a pellet in my little spoon and waited for him to surface for air. When he did I dropped and he quickly saw it and ate it. Then he recognized the spoon and was chasing it all over....got him to eat 3 NLS pellets! :D

Then he happily went about his business of swimming around! :)

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #5 
Laki

YAY!!! I love his name btw! <3
Glad he's eating! Maybe all this time he was looking for the food!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #6 
cataze

Thanks Laki! I got the name partially from the Japanese meaning (intelligent), and partially from Japanese animé/comics. It totally suits him!

I fed him again this morning. Took two pellets no problem...then of course went back to his nosy ways! He's so funny!

Last night he finally discovered his log (which he took a nap in), and his cave (which he swam in and out of).

Never thought I could fall in love with a fish!!! <3
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 
Laki

haha I know, they catch you! My fish Lakitu, who brought me to this site, was a character. The 2 I have now are totally different from Laki and from each other! It's crazy how they differ! I was thinking of getting one of those logs but its so wrong to pay 10.99 for them!! (which is what they are around here)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 
cataze

The logs are the same price here in Ottawa. I got mine when Big Al's had them on sale for $6.99...a slightly more reasonable price!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 
KadenJames

I had a male betta do the same thing last year. He was in a 30 gallon by himself, and was never able to find food, no matter what I tried. I dropped a bunch of sinking pellets and figured he'd find them. Ended up finding him dead one day. :/ never again will I put a small fish by himself in a huge tank. Poor thing.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #10 
Laki

Yes, I'd pay 6.99 for one!! lol Not 10.99+!