Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #1 
DoberMom

Is it time ALREADY?

My fry hatched on March 1st. They are just at a month old but I've already seen them chase each other. I know they play fight so I wasn't worried but today I looked closely and some of the fry are missing chunks of their fins. What the heck? Have any of you experienced aggression in such young fry? Do I need to separate them already???
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #2 
ravenwinds

Whoa! That seems very young...I thought that they started real fighting after they were a few months old. Thanks for the heads up...my fry are only a week old but I will keep an eye on them for this behaviour earlier now...
Could it be an environment issue such as tank being too small?
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #3 
Pewmew

mine just started showing little bit of aggression, they were born march 5th. :\ I was surprised too. What do you feed them currently if you don't mind me asking
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

I have only heard of one other spawn that has aggression such a young age and that's pewmew's spawn.

As I advised them....add some live floating bunch plants such as water westeria or water sprice. The nonflaring fry will hide in the live plants and avoid so much aggression. I wouldn't suggest separating then yet.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
ravenwinds

I've been feeding mine vinegar eels and banana worms.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 
DoberMom

I'm feeding mine crushed betta pellets, chopped bloodworms, and BBS. Can I find the floating plants at like a petsmart? How do I take care of them? I have them currently in a five gallon tank but there are only 6 of them. It should be plenty of room.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #7 
ravenwinds

No, my petsmart at least, doesn't carry floating plants...you can order them on aquabid...I get mine from p_voltain(?) ...name is something like that. Awesome seller! Has about 1000 plants for sale...a lot of floaters...red root is my favorite along with dwarf lettuce. Something really branching is good too...guppy grass or water sprite.
Your 5gallon should be fine for 6 fry...at least for awhile!)
You should get some live critters for your fry...a lot of time they don't know how to eat pellets (even crushed) and they can get some really good nutrition and exercise from live food...vinegar eels are easiest (you can get them on aquabid, too)...you just get a bottle(like a thoroughly cleaned spaghetti sauce jar); fill with 1:1 solution of Apple cider vinegar and water, add a piece of Apple and the culture of vinegar eels, cover with lid that has holes punched (or coffee filter and rubber band); put in a warm dark place like a cupboard or pantry...to use: pour some solution through coffee filter into cup, pour whats in cup back into jar, swish coffee filter containing strained vinegar eels in a bit of water, then pour water into tank with fry! As needed, replace fluid lost from jar due to evaporation...they don't smell, they are nematodes so wriggling, to naked eye they look like cloudy water.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

My bigger fry at that age were mean to the others and I ended up separating so they wouldn't hog food floating plants are awesome to use, and generally I use them in any spawn :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #9 
EvilVOG

my fry flared and would fight at around a month old, but they weren't really damaging each other, and a month later they still share housing, still fight some but again, aren't really hurting each other too much. You just have to watch them for that point where they are in danger of hurting each other badly.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

play fighting it good for them
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote