Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 
DTailskatr

Smile Possible breeders???

I'm new to bettas let alone breeding. I have done a lot of online research and had help from members here, which has been very helpful :). What I'm wondering is if either of my current bettas would good candidates for breeding? I am not breeding for show fish but pretty health pet fish. Also what are your opinions on cross breeding between different tail types?
What should I look for in a match for the two I have or would they be a good pair for each other?
Sorry for all the questions. I still have a lot to learn :P
DTailskatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I don't believe in crossing tail types unless they're DeT, HM, or HMPK. CT and VT ruin other lines due to the dominance of the gene.

Most pet bettas carry unknown genetics and are most likely too old for breeding.

I recommend a nice starter pair from an IBC breeder like BasementBettas so you can have nice show and pet fish. People want to buy fish for breeding and pets so you want to offer something nice.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #3 
EvilVOG

Something to keep in mind is that if you do it right, breeding bettas will leave you with a ton of fish to find homes for. I currently have 60 i need to move, not counting the ones i'm keeping.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 
DTailskatr

DeT... Does that mean delta tail?? So would a CT and CT be ok or are they not very wanted fish? I know most say to never breed for VT.
I have been able to find out that my HM double tail had one parent HM and the other HM double tail and he is around 4 months old. He is still very small. Would it be a horrible idea to breed with a good HM girl?
Is there a list somewhere of dominant and recessive genes with tail types and colors?
I'm again sorry for all the stupid questions but I am having a hard time finding good, reliable info online.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 
DTailskatr

EvilVOG- I have thought about that to... I am still trying to figure that one out lol
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTailskatr View Post
DeT... Does that mean delta tail?? So would a CT and CT be ok or are they not very wanted fish? I know most say to never breed for VT.
I have been able to find out that my HM double tail had one parent HM and the other HM double tail and he is around 4 months old. He is still very small. Would it be a horrible idea to breed with a good HM girl?
Is there a list somewhere of dominant and recessive genes with tail types and colors?
I'm again sorry for all the stupid questions but I am having a hard time finding good, reliable info online.

You're not asking stupid questions. That's how you learn. You can learn a lot by reading spawn logs and asking the breeders here all kinds of questions. We have some good people here who are more than happy to help out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTailskatr View Post
CTs are difficult because they require very unique water. I won't be trying them until I get an R/O unit which isn't for a few years lol.

DeT is delta. I DID forget to mention DT. Never ever breed DT to DT.

For DT breeding use this. ST/dt = single tail with DT genes.

F1: DT x ST = 100% ST/dt
F2: ST/dt x ST/dt = 25% DT 75% ST/dt
F3: DT x ST/dt = 50% DT
F4: Same as F3
F5: Out cross and start again.

Great genetics sites are here:

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c...64&p=1&recs=10

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=884

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=861

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=890

Hope this helped
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote