Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Females caught in tank filter

Long story short, I had to put my pomeranian, Pandora, down last month, it was time, but I still needed a break from everything and hired a friend to watch my bettas and turtle.... well, right before I left Omen passed away (female in my sorority) and right after Gotham passed away, both looked like they had gotten caught in one of the new plants (I have trashed them). I re-added Eurydice to the sorority since the only reason I had to remove her was because her and Omen were constantly fighting... she fit in perfect and adapted well.....

Well, while I was gone my friend texted me and let me know that 1 of my bettas had "disappeered".... the one gone was Peanut, who normally hides when I have someone "babysit" so I asked him to just make sure he tossed in a few extra pellets in the back and to turn the lights of so she would come out....
Then he texted me to tell me two more had disapeered.... of course I freaked, Dragon and Anchovy were no where to be seen.... along with one of the corries (he couldn't tell the spoted and bronze apart, but he said the white one was still there... I figured it was the bronze, who has a deformed front fin)
I had him remove the remaining four girls (Ender, Honey, Eury, and Merle), the 2 corries, and the snail and remove the plants and such to see if he could find the any... NOTHING... and Anchovy is a very needy fish and LOVES attention.... especially when it includes betta cups (I cup the bettas to give them bloodworms to prevent to much mess and to make sure everyone gets THEIRS)
I had him readd everyone after that along with the plants and came home early...

I found Dragon shorty after coming home, she was resting on a plant looking badly banged up....I removed her, placing her in a QT with a bit of AQ salt and espom (she was having swimming issues) and proceded to do a complete break down of the tank (EVERYTHING)
after sifting through one gallon after another... I found NOTHING
just as I was giving up hope, I noticed that part of the filter was missing (leaving a gap).... so I broke down the filter....
inside I found the spotted cory, he had already passed away
but I also found Peanut... with NO fins and what looks like burns on her body.... how she survived for 3 weeks in there I have NO idea.... there was NO sign or Anchovy at all...
This morning Dragon passed away, Peanut is still holding on, but she hasn't eaten ANYTHING... I have her in a QT, temp is 83, 1 tbs of AQ per gallon and a bit of an almond leaf for tannis..... Im PRAYING she makes it

The filter has been tossed (the piece that fell of was cracked.... not sure how that happened) and I have bought a new one, the 4 remaining girls are fine as are the two corries...... Im just praying little Peanut makes it...

How Peanut looks (my bf noted that she is moving and acting a lot like a mudpuppy now... I have reduced water level and Im doing 50% water changed)... no clue what else to do

RIP Dragon- caught in the filter

RIP Omen- caught in plant? (may of had internal damage)

RIP Anchovy- MIA

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

Oh, how horrible for you and your fishies! I'm so sorry.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, that's horrible. So much tragedy at once :(
IMO you are already doing as much as you can for your girl.. Hopefully her fins grow back quickly.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

She's mainly laying around and occasionally "scooting"... everynow and then she swims up for air, but Im worried since she hasn't eaten anything... Im about to offer her some frozen bloodworms....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

She ATE!!!!!

Only a small piece of bloodworm for now... but Im SO happy....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

No fish can resist the nommy goodness that is a bloodworms. Im so sorry for all your loss, but I'm rooting for little Peanut!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

Get well soon Peanut T^T. Sorry to hear about the cory and the girls that passed.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Good luck, LittleBettas. If Peanut survived for 3 weeks, then she's a fighter. :) One thing you add to really help her is a product like Kordon's Fish Protector. It's even better than Stress Coat and will probably really help with her burns. There are other similar products like Seachem StressGuard that will work too. Stress Coat does work but don't be afraid to add extra to help her out. I know you already know to lower the water if she can't breathe etc. You're doing a great job with her and I know she's got a good chance of making it in your care.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

Thank you all, I am happy to say that after my classes I was greeted by Peanut swimming up from the bottom of her QT cup ad doing a little dance begging for food, I gave her some crushed pellet which she ate like a champ and now she is resting again... AND there is new fin growth <3 she has started to color up more, but the "burned?" spots don't look any different.....

Sakura, the only way I can get anything other than the meds I have now is via online due to living in a sucky small town (technically, even our walmart is in the town over....).... I am looking online to purchase it anyway though it wont get here for a while....
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Today pictures...

Gimme the food (catching oieces of crushed pellet)

And relaxing after swimming...

Look at the color coming back!!!

And a better look at her back... opinions? theres no blood or anything....