Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #11 
LinkLover

I wasn't planning on getting him live plants, I'm definitely not ready for that yet! And he was a gold color when I bought him, but he is definitely changing. And unfortunately, a picture is impossible. I sat there and tried, and tried, and tried, but no luck whatsoever. Like I said I only have a camera on my phone and it doesn't work that great. He ate his breakfast this morning pretty readily, so that was good. He also stopped for a few minutes to look at my face. I shined a flashlight on him last night, but I couldn't tell anything. The new patches on his faces reflected in the light, but not the rest of his body. I did water tests and the ammonia was at .25 ppm so I did a 50% change, like it says above. So I don't think it would be water conditions, but I could be wrong, I'm new! And when we acclimated him, we did it slowly, adding tank water every half an hour while floating him. It went very smoothly.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #12 
LinkLover

Oh and his fins are only clamped while he's swimming, but I think that's just the water running over them. When he stops occasionally, they always float back up. I have been paying VERY close attention looking for rubbing, but it seems he is only darting.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

I don't know what to say. I hope someone else will give advice. But the only thing i know that if patches on his head are new then it really not good. And keep close eye on him and watch the patches and if they are spread or get bigger definitely treat him.

Also i know that some people saying darting sometimes happened but then i read on this forum from knowledgeable people that if betta darting it can be also due to parasites. And velvet it kind of parasitic disease. And i don't want you loose time and he will get worse. Any disease easier and more affective to treat when it begins then when it too late.

And also aquariums salt is not stressful as any medications. A lot of web sites even recommending to use it on regular basis, which i don't recommend though.

So i would say keep eye,try to shine light again later and see his body...

I would think if those patches is beginning of disease then they would spread...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #14 
LinkLover

If I can't come up with a conclusion, would it be safe to just treat him with aquarium salt anyway? And see if it makes a difference? I might give it another day, but if he's still acting funny and I'm inconclusive I would like to at least try SOMETHING.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

See how is he tomorrow wait for other people to response . Also i have on hand Aquarium salt and empty 1 gall jug. It really recommended to pre mix it in the one gall jug for the right dosage. I really think you need it especially that you say that the spots are new and you didn't see them before. Also is he darting all the time?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #16 
LinkLover

Well the spots are more like patches, like gold shiny patches. They do NOT look like fungus, or anything yucky. They are just new. That's the confusing part! He is darting less today, but still quite a bit. He will stop and come look at me, or go into his cave, or take a breath from the surface, but still darts around. Plus he did eat his pellets this morning! Like I said in an earlier post I'm going to get him more (fake!) plants, to see if having more of a natural, easy-to-hide-in tank makes him feel more secure.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #17 
xjenuhfur

He could have a marble gene, and he was probably getting used to his new tank, which was causing the darting. If he has seemed to calm down then I wouldn't worry too much. Goblin darts around his tank all the time, but there is nothing the matter with him. I was seriously thinking he had velvet at one time too, but google some images of what velvet looks like, and if it looks like that. Treat immediately. Is the same treatment for ick as it is for velvet.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

It sound like he is not really active if he is hiding in his cave ...I would treat him... It not really normal to dart and hide in the cave and have new patches like that...I also will ask someone else to look at your thread since we can't deside...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #19 
LinkLover

Now I'm in panic mode. I have looked at pictures before, like yesterday when I was first suspicious, but nothing looked like him. Now I just found a picture that looks exactly like how the patches on his face look. But I can't do the flashlight test, because his whole body is a gold color! So I can't tell if it's just his body, or if he's sick!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

I just sand PM to Oldfishlady to look at your post. She is off line right now , but she usually response fast. She has a lot of experience. She helps a lot. If it would be my fish i would treat but really afraid to make decision for your fish. Aquarium salt not going to harm him. Lets wait for OFL unless someone can tell you ...

Also it not nessasarry body it can start from the head and then just spread.

While we waiting on OFL responce i would pre mix aq salt in 1 gall jug for the right dosage. So you have it ready. Also do you have container or something to put him in? It will be easier for you to change the water. Also i would ask OFL after she response what to do with tank and gravel ...
I would think you will need to diseanfect it ...