Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
duluoz

Feeding inquiries!

Hey folks.

So there is a lot of divided opinion on the matter of feeding, but I get some good advice here, so I figured some of you could help me reacha conclusion.

I've been feeding BD 1-2 times a day (I alternate), as much as he can eat within 3 minutes (as instructed by the packages). Usually flakes, and blood worms every once in a while.

But he always gets bloated. Not super crazy or anything, but very noticeably. And that makes me think that, despite following directions, I'm feeding him too much.

Plus, I hear that a Bettas stomach is as big as it's eye, and I feel like I'm feeding him an amount larger than that within the 3 minute period.

Also, just to even out the question for anybody else who has a similar issue, what are signs of under feeding?

Thanks in advance.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
Sea Dragon

3 minutes of continuous feeding is a lot, those feeding instructions on fish foods are jack IMO :P Since mine is highly voracious, feeding time normally lasts no more than 30 seconds.

An underfed betta would have a sunken/flat looking stomach, which can also be a symptom of internal parasites, but that's a whole other issue.

If your betta is an adult, 2-3 whole-looking bloodworms at once would be ideal. Flakes are harder to measure, but just gauge to see how many would fit in an eye-ball sized stomach. Remember that dried foods also swell slightly when wet.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Bloodworms are not a good idea as a staple diet unless they are live, as they can cause bloating. However, everything else SeaDragon has said is correct. :) I would suggest switching to pellets (2-3 twice a day) and feeding bloodworms as a treat twice a week. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #4 
duluoz

Thanks, both of you. That is actually very, very helpful.

To bomba, I actully bought some pellets, but BD can't eat them before they hit the ground. It's kind of funny. Maybe I'll try again soon, though!
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Can you teach him to eat from a feeding stick, some tweezers, or even your fingers? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #6 
Sheldon31

I give ky 3 pellets twice a day, he has half a tablet of frozen bloodworm once a week instead of the pellets and I fast him every Friday to help his bowels clear out and reduce bloat. He's not had any signs of overfeeding so I guess this is right. I dont follow the 2-3 minute rule because Kyon would eat himself to death in that space of time. I also check that the pellets I buy are floating or only sink to the middle at the most and feed him one at a time rather than just put 3 pellets in at once, by the time he gets to the 3rd its pretty much sank to the bottom. :) make feeding time fun like bomba said, teach him to eat off your finger or chop sticks, I've started doing it with ky now he's settling in and it's so cute!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote