Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberMom View Post
No it makes sense. Thanks. We have a sponge filter in the 10 gal. Doesn't that create a filter? I do have a power filter that I am not using. Would that be better than a sponge filter? Would that be stressful on the CT? What about the SAE? would they do well in my 29 gal? It's still cycling. My bf does like the look of neon tetras. How many could I have in the 10 gal if it was just the tetras and the betta?
Sponge filters although great for Bettas do not work with Bamboo shrimps. I suggest using the power filter and baffling it if it's too strong for your Betta. It'll provide some current, make sure you have something near the current so your shrimp can stand on it.

SAE, tough one. There's no place to put them eh? Your 29g would've been a great place for them if the tank was already set-up and well-established, along with lots of live plants and tons of algae for them to eat. I really don't know where you can place them. .

Neon Tetras some people wouldn't reccomend them, they're active and a bigger tank than 10g would be better. Maybe Ember Tetras? You could do 6 ~ 8 of them.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #12 
DoberMom

Alrighty I'm gonna have to talk to him about it. I've got three different types of live plants in my tank, but I only know one of them is bamboo and the other two I have no idea. He got the SAE specifically for his algae problem. He's got a lot of hair algae and they've been doing a great job so far. He'll be a bit disappointed. How do you think Oto cats will do in his tank?
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #13 
Micho

Quote:
Alrighty I'm gonna have to talk to him about it. I've got three different types of live plants in my tank, but I only know one of them is bamboo and the other two I have no idea. He got the SAE specifically for his algae problem. He's got a lot of hair algae and they've been doing a great job so far. He'll be a bit disappointed. How do you think Oto cats will do in his tank?
Bamboo? Bamboo isn't an aquatic plant just saying it's semi-aquatic, the roots and stem can be under water but he leaves can't be in water or it won't survive. Hair algae is usually caused by excessive nutrients, the plants can't take in any more so that's where the algae comes in. If you put more plants in the tank they will out compete the nutrients and the hair algae will slowly go away. If they're having lots of algae to eat that's good, but once the hair algae is gone they're going to starve. :/

Otos are another tricky things, since they are hard to breed in captivity, how we catch them is by using cyanide, and that stuns them allow people to catch them easier. With this method their immune systems are weaken and they are more susceptible to die. Otos should only be bought if you have a well established tank with lots of live plants just like the SAEs, they will build their immune systems back up in a healthy tank.

If your boyfriend has a well maintained tank with lots of live plants and lots of algae Otos will do fine, but they will run out of algae in a 10g pretty fast. Considering you have to buy 3+, you'll need to give them a lot of algae to feast on.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #14 
DoberMom

I see. Maybe they will do ok if they are supplemented with veggies?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #15 
Micho

Yeah they'll eat blanched zucchinis, cucumbers, spinach, etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you do run out of algae, I know with algae eaters like panda loaches that also rely heavily on it, you can just put a couple rocks in a jar, leave it in the sun, fertilize if you feel the need to, and algae will grow, which you can just plop in your tank for the otos. Alternatively, you can buy dried algae that's flattened out. Otos are possible to keep, so don't get too discouraged, they really seem like great little guys, but you have to be careful with them.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #17 
DoberMom

Thanks for all the advice. I doubt I'll ever have an endless supply of algae. Does anybody? I like the growing your own algae idea :) thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #18 
Micho

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I doubt I'll ever have an endless supply of algae. Does anybody? I like the growing your own algae idea :) thanks
In NPT or tanks with a lot of live plants in general. A healthy sign is that some algae is present. The reason why algae eaters do so well in larger tanks, well-established tanks with a lot of live plants is because the algae is produced faster than the algae eaters can eat it.

Growing your own algae or dropping in some blanched vegetables works either way, or algae wafers.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #19 
DoberMom

Will the ember tetras eat the betta pellets? I'm thinking about going that rout.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #20 
Micho

Pretty sure they will.