Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #11 
MattD

Begging eventually leads to what you want. My mom flipped her frickin' lid when she saw my 10 gallon in my bedroom. I upgraded months later to a 20 gallon, luckily she didn't really notice (the setup was the exact same, just slightly larger). Then one day she came home and saw my entire room re-arranged with my current 40 gallon freshwater setup, dedicated shelf unit and all.

She didn't flip because it looked really pretty all set up. However, I purposely waited until she was gone for several days to make this transition. I find that if parents SEE the transition stages (messyness everywhere, buckets, excess of wires, awkwardly placed furniture, etc...) they often become greatly perturbed. Once it's all said and done, I don't think anyone can resist the tempting lure of a glistening fish tank with colorful inhabitants. :D :D :D

I DID need to beg her to set up my saltwater tank though, since this required a whole new unit.

Good luck.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #12 
Little-Fizz

^^^ Hahaha thats awesome. I had to promise my mom I would heavily plant my new tank in order to keep it (She some sort of plant freak). Hahaha thats sooo funny. Very true about if they don't see it when it happens they don't care as much. Example like 4 months ago "Mommmmm can I get my tongue pierced?" And of course she says "Can we not talk about this anymore?" So I went out and got it myself and did a damn good job at not letting her know, and she only found out last month and she started laughing. She didn't even care. She was just surprised she didn't notice it sooner. Just thought I would share. Lol try it, begging does work. It just takes a while
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #13 
Thumper719

honestly, i would LOVE to get a new tank, but there is absolutly no where to put it in my room, and my parents dont want them anywhere else...
and im pretty sure that gerardo is a baby, thats what the lady at walmart said...
ill take a new picture of him and upload it later tonight
and yes, i am ontop of water changes! =]
Thumper719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #14 
Falina

It's good that you're on top of water changes. You'll have to be with a plec in a 3g.

I know it's hard to do, but unless you can upgrade in the VERY near future, which you have said you can't, I still think you need to rehome your plec for his own good.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #15 
Thumper719

OMG I THINK HES DEAD!!!!!

hes upside down at the bottom of the tank, he was fine 2 hours ago but after i got home he was dead!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #16 
Lindsey88

Sorry about that. If you really want more fish for your tank you could get another female betta and maybe a couple of mystery snails.
Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #17 
MattD

Sorry about your loss, but it was expected to be honest. Well, at this time the last thing you want to do is add anything else to the tank. Depending on how long it's been in there, I'd do a nice water change.

Again, sorry for the loss. It always sucks losing a fish you become attached to. I lost my Betta which I've owned for 8 months just last week. I bought him when he was full grown so it had to have been old age (tank is well established and I have far more sensitive species than he). I kind of knew it was coming, he hadn't eaten in days and was acting really lethargic. I came home and found him lying on the sand with his gills barely moving. He snapped out of it but then a few days later my friend and I came home andhe was dead. :( :(
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #18 
Thumper719

meh, well i changed the water every week, and i fed everyone and well, idk why he died!
the filter stoped working too, and the gravel is really old, so my bettas are in a little tank for now, but tomorrow im gona go to wal mart and get new gravel and a new filter... and possibly another female beta...idk about that yet
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #19 
MattD

Plecos produce a lot of waste. In a tank as small as yours, I'd imagine weekly water changes were not enough to reduce deadly levels.

Bettas are very hardy, which is the reason why they're alive right now, surely. Do you have a water test kit by any chance? If not, you can bring a sample of your tank water to your LFS to be tested for parameters. This will tell you if it's safe enough to add anything else.

good luck. :P
Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #20 
Falina

Sad but expected. Sorry to hear that. :(

I have to agree with Matt as well that weekly water changes were likely not enough with the tank so crowded. I suggest as well that you get a test kit, a liquid one, or if you take your water to the lfs make sure they give you the figures, not just tell you the water is alright.

I really would advise against another betta, or another fish at all. The tank really is too small unfortunately and with bettas you have the added chance of agression. I honestly think you'd be better of, or rather the fish would be better off if you left them as is, and kept a keen eye on them to watch out for any agression so you can seperate them immediately if necessary.

There was a very similar story, posted by serpeakeeper which I will try to dig out, about his 2 female bettas in a 10g tank, much larger than yours, however the fish eventually became agressive and with the tank being small there wasn't enough room for the other to get away and it ended up he had to seperate them. With 3 bettas you are simply adding to the problem. Until there are larger numbers of 6 or more, which obviously would never work in your tank, adding more just amplifies the peoblem, rather than spreading the agression.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote