Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #21 
tophat665

With two female bettas, if you upgrade to a 10 and get 4 more females, you will have just about the optimum female betta tank, particularly if you plant it heavily.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #22 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falina
Sad but expected. Sorry to hear that. :(

I have to agree with Matt as well that weekly water changes were likely not enough with the tank so crowded. I suggest as well that you get a test kit, a liquid one, or if you take your water to the lfs make sure they give you the figures, not just tell you the water is alright.

I really would advise against another betta, or another fish at all. The tank really is too small unfortunately and with bettas you have the added chance of agression. I honestly think you'd be better of, or rather the fish would be better off if you left them as is, and kept a keen eye on them to watch out for any agression so you can seperate them immediately if necessary.

There was a very similar story, posted by serpeakeeper which I will try to dig out, about his 2 female bettas in a 10g tank, much larger than yours, however the fish eventually became agressive and with the tank being small there wasn't enough room for the other to get away and it ended up he had to seperate them. With 3 bettas you are simply adding to the problem. Until there are larger numbers of 6 or more, which obviously would never work in your tank, adding more just amplifies the peoblem, rather than spreading the agression.
Here is the post I was talking about, though I must correct myself. I thoguht it was a 10g, turns out it was a 5g, but that desn't matter really:

http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10536
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #23 
Thumper719

the thing is, i cant get a larger tank
and i put little cave thingies in the big tank so the fish could get away from each other
and these 2 have always gotten along, ive had them since the summer, but my friend who gave them to me had them for about a year or so...
Thumper719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #24 
Falina

In that case I really suggest you just leave them as they are and keep an eye on them.

Good luck. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #25 
Thumper719

thanks
Thumper719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #26 
studioskim3

awww, :( thats sad to hear... I'm sorry bout that...

well, on the upside... you don't have to worry bout rehoming it... I'm SORRY probably not what you wanted to hear. ... g'luck on the next pet...

and I understand that there is no room... but my problem is not the room part, but being able to afford it... :( I have no money and my parents are paying for tuition fees... they're stretched out as it is... 3 gallon sounds FABULOUS compared to my 1 gallon tank :(
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #27 
beetlebz

pshaw! theres ALWAYS room for a fish tank lol im considering throwing my couch out to make room for a 55 african tank. more often than not if I have company over the bed is only 2 feet farther away lol but nah seriously im very sorry to hear about gerardo :(
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #28 
Aquatic_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper719
OMG I THINK HES DEAD!!!!!

hes upside down at the bottom of the tank, he was fine 2 hours ago but after i got home he was dead!

We told you......lol......see what happens....

You should takes peoples advice abit more serious......alot of these people on this forum have great knowledge about fish and how to take care of them......thats why i joined to gain the knowledge form them and also a learning experience....

sorry for your loss RIP Pleco
Aquatic_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #29 
blueblue48

i only have 1 betta in an almost 3 gallon tank, and whoever said theres never too little room is definatly right.
blueblue48 is offline   Reply With Quote