Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #1 
mergan25

Need help with sick Betta[B][/B]

I just posted this in the Betta care forum, but think it's more appropriate here...

I've just joined this forum because I'm looking for help. The nearest pet store is a petco, and the advice is different depending on who I ask.

I've had my Betta, Anguel for a year and 9 or 10 months. He's the first fish I've ever owned. He lives in a one gallon tank, no filter, a couple of fake plants and some rocks.

About a week and a half ago I noticed Anguel's fins starting to recede. I did a full water change, and for the first time I added aquarium salt and API bettafix to the water in addition to the usual API Betta water conditioner. I continued to use the API bettafix every day for a week. I have since done another full water change, and a 50% water change. I also added a thermometer and small heater to his tank which keeps the temp 76-78. Before the water was around 62-64. It seems his fins have stopped receding, but his gills are swollen and red, his head has become splotchy red, and his front fins have turned red and white. His eyes are also red. He is dark blue/purple originally. I've been thinking maybe he as ich, because he darts around the tank and makes contact with the plants and whatnot. But he doesn't have the "covered in dust" look. If I shine a flashlight on him, I do see some sporadic white spots on his fins. He is still very active and not lethargic, but there is obviously something wrong. I can't figure how to treat him. Please let me know if you have any idea what this could be or how I could treat it.

Thank you!

update:
I did a full water change, used conditioner and salt, but no bettafix. I took some pictures before the water change.
Attached Images

mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #2 
wystearya

I took the liberty of editing your picture here with some circles. I am wondering if the white stringy things I see are some kind of parasite?

Are these on him? Or just something odd in the picture?
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 
frazier71

Well 62-64 was definately way to cold. Bettas do well between 76-82. And they kind of do look like a parasite unless like wystearya said its the picture
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 
mergan25

I'm wondering that as well. I can't see them myself, I can only see them on these close-ups. I don't think it's the camera, the photos seem pretty clear otherwise.

Last edited by mergan25; 04-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #5 
frazier71

That's strange. Try taking more close ups
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 
mergan25

I just took a bunch of close-ups, they all look exactly the same as those pictures but WITHOUT the weird string things. I didn't see any more of those. It must have been something in the water? I took those pictures right before a water change.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #7 
frazier71

Ok then I would just keep him in warmclean water with aq salt I think hell be okay
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #8 
cjayBetta

Keep up the AQsalt until you hit 10 days, after that it has the potential to affect the betta labyrinth organ. Also make sure you do 100% everyday while on the treatment.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

On the picture that Wystearya circles and on the one from you above really looks like it ich. Also the behavior that you described ''darts around the tank and makes contact with the plants and whatnot'' + white patches - all those symptoms really ich(external parasite).

Also you was trying to use flashlight to see if he cover with dust..it for ''velvet" symptoms which is also external parasites.

No bettafix please.

The aquarium salt is the right treatment but i am going to give you more instruction:

Conservatively you will want to raise temperature to 85 F and add 1 tsp per gal of Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.
The temp is important to help speed up the process.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 04-06-2012 at 10:11 AM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Also i forget to write it really better if you can pre mix aq salt in 1 gall jug for the right dosage. You can use a gall from the spring water or even from milk just rinse it really well with water.

Also if you have live plant i would not use it. And just for your information if you ever buy live plant always quarantine if for about 2-3 weeks, because they can carry disease. Sorry just read your post againg and you don't have live plants but it good to know...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote