Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #1 
Blake My First

Crowntail Castiel in trouble. Help!

Hi, I've had two bettas (male and female) in the past like 7 years ago when I was in grade school. Blake (which I bought from a petstore) lived for more than a year (could be 2 years) and Ann (which I bought from Walmart) lived for a few months. Ann passed away before Blake but I think she was happy I rescued her, she had no color whatsoever when I got her. Back then I kept Blake in a gallon vase with maybe 60 to 70% filled, didn't want him to jump out. And Ann was in a 28 oz container.

I recently acquired three bettas just last week, 2 crowntails and 1 veiltail. Raphael the green, blue, and red crowntail is in a 2.5 gallon glass tank, might upgrade him to a bigger tank later. Castiel the blue crowntail and Clayton the red veiltail are in separate 5 gallon glass tanks. All tanks unfiltered (upgrading to AquaClear 5-20 gallon filter later) and with no heater, though it's summer here in Northeast US and their water temperatures hover between 82 and 84 at the moment.

I feed them twice a day, 2 pellets in the morning 9-10:30 and 2 pellets in the evening 7-8. I am changing their water Tuesdays and Fridays for the 2.5g tank and just Fridays for the two 5g tanks, both with 50% water change.

They all are very active, Clayton and Raphael are always happy to see me, Clayton is the one that begs for food the most; he's moving his mouth and swimming excitedly a lot when my face comes near. Raphael swims a lot too but doesn't beg for food as much. Castiel, however, is not doing so well. Whenever I feed them Clay and Raph gulped down the pellets in an instant, they swim to the pellets, I usually drop it far so at least the pellets soaked a bit and not dried when they ingested them. Castiel still eats but he doesn't eat the pellets as fast and he was pretty active before. Looking at him now, Castiel is staying near the thermometer top near the surface, he doesn't move much. He still moves around when I come close or if I gently touch the glass. Castiel still flares when I remove the screen and he sees Raph. And yes I keep the tanks near each other. :)

I hope Castiel is doing fine.

I am going to change water soon after the water warms up to my room temperature and their water temperature. Hopefully it will help if it was a ammonia problem.

I am getting freeze-dried daphnia for them at a local Pet Supply Plus. Hopefully it will help if it was a bloating problem, which I don't think it is. I am thinking for fasting them too.

What do you guys think?

Please any advice.

Maybe suggestions on a good filter with little to no flow - besides the AquaClear 5-20 gallon. I will add a heater once September/October comes.

Thanks!

Last edited by Blake My First; 06-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 
EllaFish

I wouldn't fast them, the behavior you're talking about sounds like what one of my fish was doing-until I upped his feedings. 4 pellets a day really isn't that much, I've seen males who eat 3+ times that in a day. Judging by your tank size, your fish are probably pretty big too. It may seem strange that he eats slowly if he is hungry, but Bettas are weird like that. I would increase how much you feed ALL of your fish. You just have two who are jumpy when hungry and one who is sluggish. Hope that works!
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #3 
Blake My First

Hi EllaFish, thank you for your input. I am not sure if he is sick or just sluggish. Sometimes they beg so I had to drop an extra pellet, so sometimes 3 pellets.
I think I might feed them 5 pellets a day. We will see, they are always hungry lol but I worried for constipation, bloating, and SBD.

This morning I accidentally dropped an extra one besides the 3rd pellet into Castiel's. He's still eats them fast but his reaction has changed like he's becoming slower. When I got him which was few days ago, he's very lively and always swim around. Now he loaths a lot, I fear for the worst which is any illness. I probably won't fast them, seems a bit cruel now when I think of it and when only one betta is inactive.

I did an almost 100% water change in Castiel's tank to make sure it wasn't ammonia and/or nitrite. Ordered the freshwater master test kit yesterday with Amazon Prime, should be getting it on Wednesday. Probably going to get filters for all of them, just after I paid all my bills this month. lol

I am planning on feeding them freeze dried daphnia, heard it's good for bloating and SBD. Thanks nevertheless!

There is no sign of discoloration, paleness, or fin rot (hopefully it won't happen soon). I'll share some pictures of Castiel later.

Hope Castiel feels better in the next 24 hours or not I have to get some med, it's better to be safe than sorry right?

EDIT:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon tank
What temperature is your tank? 80 today, was 82-84 yesterday
Does your tank have a filter? No (Should I get one, what kind?)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Cold seasons only
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon (Color Enhancing) BettaFood Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, 2 morning, 2 evening (sometimes 3)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week with conditioned tap water sit out to room temperature
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquasafePlus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Last edited by Blake My First; 06-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 
EllaFish

I'm sure you've heard plenty of stories about bloating and whatnot. I know it can make one worry but I have several reasons to think that your fish won't get bloating-
-New fish in big tanks hit growth spurts. Nobody knows why, but Bettas seem to grow to their tank size in the first couple of weeks. Some people are "always hungry" but don't get fat, they're just in a growth spurt. At this time, you should feed your Bettas until they stop acting hungry* so they can grow.

-Your fish aren't females. Females rarely seem full. They will eat and eat and eat. Males generally stop eating once they are full. *You shouldn't actually feed him until he shows no signs of hunger. In the wild, you don't know when you'll get another meal.

-You aren't Mr. Onceaday. Bettas who are fed only once per day are far more likely to get bloating than Bettas fed several times a day.
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 
Blake My First

Thanks for that info, now I'm going to eliminate the possibility of feeding them once a day. I do agree, it's a lot of food, like 4-5 pellets for one betta at one time. I'm not feeding them more than 3 pellets at one feeding.

Thanks, if not bloating, can you help me discern what is wrong with him? Here's some more details.

My brother bought Castiel's for me at the Petsmart on Tuesday, they delivered new fish/and bettas on Tuesdays so I really wanted one, especially if he's new from the breeders/suppliers.

Castiel was fine from Tuesday to Friday, but then yesterday/Sat, he started to show signs of inactivity and lethargy. I am still worried and check his tank a lot today. It might have nothing to do with the feeding, nor temperature, nor water, but I got him new moneywort plants yesterday and put in his tank. I've just read to quarantine new plants/items to a new tank. My bad!!

Observing him today, he's been just laying at the bottom of the tank a lot and comes up for air when he has too. I'm going to lower his water level so it's easier for him. Was about to do it but notice he's by my suctioned thermometer again. (Smart boy, it's easier for him to gasp for air). If I lower the water I would have to lower the thermometer too. I am sorry but I guess I'm an obsesses and a paranoid person.

I don't know what it could be, it's quite early at this stage, could be stress, could be infection, or something. I have to say the stress part could have been my fault. I had to move Clayton to a 5 gallon tank yesterday from his 1 gallon bowl and used up all the water I had sitting for 24 hrs for that...

so there were no new/fresh water for Castiel's tank, when I moved it from the lower shelf to higher shelf. The lower shelf was too low, and Castiel wasn't receiving enough sunlight, so could I have been stressing with my negligence? It's hard to give enough attention to all fish. :(

Edit: He does seem happier today (Sat) that I changed his water close to 100%, had him in the 5 gallon tank since Tues.

On Thursday and Friday it was all about Clayton now it's Castiel but with different problems. I was worried Clayton had fin rot when I was googling and using yahoo answers and this site, but turns out it was from his old water at the petstore, he's completely happy as a fish can be. :)

Castiel :( I just don't know what to do right now to help.

EDIT:

Castiel's Symptoms: Concerns
-Doesn't enjoy his tanks anymore. Doesn't explore new things I have in his tank. Could this have been missing a tank toy that I took out?
-Stays at the bottom most of the time or by the thermometer near water surface. Comes up for air frequently. Lethargic and inactive.

Other info

-Normal colors
-Flares normally
--Strange how he flares with Ralph then goes back to being lethargic the new few seconds at the bottom of the tank.
-No signs of fin rot
-Moves a bit time to time
-Moves more after feeding. Strange!

Last edited by Blake My First; 06-24-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 
xShainax

A SPN fan. :O Try putting new decorations in his tank. He could be bored.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 
Blake My First

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
A SPN fan. :O Try putting new decorations in his tank. He could be bored.
What's SPN? :o I have live plants at the moment. What decorations do you think I should put in? :)

Are you sure he's bored and not showing early sign of illness? :(

Edit: Supernatural, LOL yes you're right. Dean and Sam were too common for names.

Last edited by Blake My First; 06-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake My First View Post
What's SPN? :o I have live plants at the moment. What decorations do you think I should put in? :)

Are you sure he's bored and not showing early sign of illness? :(
Supernatural. And yeah, I am sure it's boredom. All my betta's were like that before I put more plants in there tanks to explore in. I suggest you get like a cave with a lot of cravices to swim through. Also, he is new so he is still adjusting to his new place. :)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 
Blake My First

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Supernatural. And yeah, I am sure it's boredom. All my betta's were like that before I put more plants in there tanks to explore in. I suggest you get like a cave with a lot of cravices to swim through. Also, he is new so he is still adjusting to his new place. :)
If it's boredom problem then I am a bit happier, at least it's not some illness, poor Cas :(

How did your bettas act before you had decorations, were they sitting at the bottom of the tank most of the times?

Thanks for the tip! I will try caves and more live plants, or silk plants.
Don't want to overdo the live plants because if they die and I have to buy more....:o lol
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake My First View Post
If it's boredom problem then I am a bit happier, at least it's not some illness, poor Cas :(

How did your bettas act before you had decorations, were they sitting at the bottom of the tank most of the times?

Thanks for the tip! I will try caves and more live plants, or silk plants.
Don't want to overdo the live plants because if they die and I have to buy more....:o lol
They stayed at the bottom or at the top not really moving and I use silk plants since I kill every live plant I had. >.>