Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #11 
Pataflafla

Since you've just gotten her, give her a week to get her bowels sorted out. She probably just has to get used to eating more frequently. Her metabolism will be slow from store feeding so it'll just take some time.

I've got two new bettas right now. the female I bought two weeks ago is still having very minor sbd when she eats, but she's improved greatly. The male, which I've had for a week now also still has sbd issues with every meal. He's also improving. It just takes time.

If she's having a lot of trouble staying upright, then you can start epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal for a week minimum (Just to make sure everything gets cleared up so you don't have to deal with little flare ups).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #12 
KappaTheImp

Good news, I think. Started her on epsom salt yesterday. She's passing normal poo now. (I think it's normal? It's brown anyway.) Instead of the gigantic white masses she was passing before. She's swimming normally for the moment.
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Don't stop epsom salt though. Not sure for how long you have to continue when they better right away.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #14 
Silverfang

Epsom salt can be used safely on a long term basis. If you have to keep her on it for a few weeks she'll be fine.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #15 
KappaTheImp

Aaaand, floating again.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

:( Just keep her on Epsom salt. It mild and not going to harm her. It will help...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #17 
KappaTheImp

Still have her on epsom salt. I assume eventually she'll work herself out. For all I know, she might just be genetically predisposed to SBD. She's still super active, just mildy inconvenienced by not being able to hang out at the bottom. In fact, she's even clever enough that when she's done floating around at the surface, she'll position herself underneath a plant leaf to hold herself down. Poor clever girl.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

Give us update please. I really curious. One of my friend has the same situation. And i am wondering how to resolve it. She fast fish and he was fine then got it again. Then is fine again now i told her to fast him and if he will be bloated again i will recommend Epsom salt. Unless her fish has internal parasites. I am going to check his poo and behavior.

Not sure what to do in this situation i know that Epsom salt can be used for very long time but for how long? Or if fish bloated all the time is it fatal. Or may be you and my friend have to feed less? I don't know...

Good luck.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #19 
KappaTheImp

I'm 100% sure I'm not over feeding her. She has literally eaten twice since she has been in my care. I fed her a single pellet when she started swimming normally, and she bloated back up again. I'm going to keep her on the epsom salt for a few days and see where we go.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Give us update. Good luck.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote