Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #21 
KappaTheImp

Ok, we've got some white stringy poo. Is this still indicative of parasites, or could the epsom salt be messing with her? And what should I use to treat if it's parasites?
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #22 
Pataflafla

The epsom might be messing with her a little, but since it's turned stringy, then you should try a medication.

Good medications for this are Jungle brand of API General Cure. A medicated food is the very best, but bettas often will not eat them even if they are soaked in bloodworm juice or garlic juice.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #23 
BETTACHKALOVE

I hope she don't have any mates.
Also you always can increase epsom salt up to 3 tsp/gall. Epsom salt along with API General Cure should help pass the worms out of the system but it really helps if the fish is eating so he can produce waste. Usually the dead worms are passed along with the poop.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #24 
BETTACHKALOVE

Make sure you don't share anything between her and your other fish:(
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #25 
KappaTheImp

Going to start her on meds for parasites tomorrow if I can find them. Petco didn't have it and my local fish store was already closed when I got off work. :( I went ahead and got her some frozen food, just in case she was getting bloated from freeze dried food, or the pellets. She was swimming normally again yesterday afternoon and this morning, after being fed a pellet and a bit of pea, but now she's bloated again.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #26 
BETTACHKALOVE

It good that she is eating. There is also anti-parasite pellets, Jungle's Parasite Clear Fizz tabs . Not sure which one is better though. I know someone who was treating with Jungles one and i know someone who was treating with API and none of them helped. Very sorry that i am writing it to you ... But both that fish that i am talking about didn't eat so you probably have better luck because she is eating. Maybe you can find anti-parasites food. Definitely keep him on Epsom salt with or without medications.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #27 
KappaTheImp

Just updating, we're still floaty. I stopped treatment with epsom salt since it seems to do absolutely no good at all. Switched her from pellets to frozen food, also with no success, and am treating for parasites with the jungle fizz tabs.

She's still in the same routine. Every couple of mornings she'll swim normally and by that afternoon she's floating again. I'm getting ready to give up and just decide she has a naturally gimpy swim bladder. She seems happy enough, so I guess that's good enough for me.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #28 
Pataflafla

Her swim bladder might just be too damaged to function normally.

If she's not responding to anything, just try to be comprehensive and keep the water clean. You can safely stop parasite medication as well. Just finish the course of treatment that you've started and have her in clean water afterwards.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #29 
KappaTheImp

It just seems so odd to me that she's able to swim normally sometimes, and then floats for days. She's swimming normally right now as a matter of fact. I think I just startled her into a really good poop when I cupped her to clean the tank.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #30 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your fishy :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote