Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 
rckstr1253

GLofish question

I bought a few tiny glofish for my 2 gallon spec nano(i know its small) but its a temporary situation till another tank is cycled. Anyway I noticed when I got home the little green guy has a problem with the tail fin. I don't know if it got a little torn or nipped or whether its genetically like that, but he seems to be having a hard time swimming? So my question is, is this fixable or is it most likely a genetic defect?

rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #2 
Micho

GloFish if I remember correctly are Zebra Danios but they've been genetically altered, actually some states in the US banned the sale of GloFish.

The picture isn't really clear but I would have to go with that it's a generic defect.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #3 
Fabian

You will usually see some damage because glofish(danios)are very active and will usually fight,one of my pink glofish lost it's eye when they were fighting.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 
rckstr1253

Well sorry to report, I awoke this morning to find the lil guy had passed away. I took him back to petco as he was only a couple days old, and was looking to find a replacement but they didn't have any. They do have however, a long finned orange glofish that looks pregnant. I was thinking about getting that one to see if I could get her to drops some eggs and raise my own, but I don't know if the fish is fat due to carrying eggs or whether that fish just eats a lot.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 
MollyJean

Well if you do get a pregnant glofish, don't sell the babies. It's illegal to sell them without a license and they're illegal to sell or own in California! But I think the females always look a little pregnant.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

I would hold off on getting any more until the tank is cycled. Alternatively, you could do a fish-in cycle. Danios are extremely hardy and with proper maintenance would have no problem riding out the cycle. I think it would be better than keeping them in a 2 gallon - they are such active little fish and really do need a 2ft+ tank with a school of 6.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #7 
MollyJean

If the Glofish didn't cost so much that would be ideal, but those things are 8 dollars each here, who knows how much for this person.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Trust me, when shops here sell standard zebra danios for $5+ each, you don't take fishy lives lightly. But in a fish-in cycle you shouldn't let ammonia get over 0.5ppm anyway, so they really should be fine if the OP does the proper maintenance.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Trust me, when shops here sell standard zebra danios for $5+ each, you don't take fishy lives lightly. But in a fish-in cycle you shouldn't let ammonia get over 0.5ppm anyway, so they really should be fine if the OP does the proper maintenance.
Well I plan to have them in a larger tank but right now I might be moving within a month or so, and I am still looking for a cheap used tank I can find. I orginally had them in my 20 high with 4 other glo fish but they were being picked on and attacked from my tetra's and the larger glofish. So I have them in the fluval spec nano at the moment since a deal to sell that tank fell through. I do test the water everyday and do partial water changes everyday and so far I have kept the water quality really well. The pet store owner near me was astonished to see that my 2 gallon tank that has been set up only a week, has perfect ratings for nitrites, nitrates, amonia and ph. Its as if the tank is cycled. I will say this, I wish Fluval made the spec nano style tank larger as I love the look of it, love the filtration on this tank, but wish it had a real hood instead of a cheap plastic top and better dimensions.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Wouldn't a Fluval tank in the shape of the Petco Bookshelf Tank be a wonderful thing? I love the asthetics of Fluval tanks.