Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #1 
Sea Dragon

Helping Tail Regrowth

My betta recently went though a bout of fin rot. Right now, the rot has stopped but currently there aren't any signs of regrowth. It's only been a week though, so I know I need to be patient :)

He's a double tail and his top caudal is about 60% gone and his bottom caudal is 10-20% gone. The dorsal has a small dip and the anal was unaffected.

I've already done the salt treatment up to 3 tsp to stop it as well as 100% water changes for over two weeks. He's in a 2.5 gal, heated and unfiltered. Since the rot isn't progressing, I'm just giving him double dose Stress Coat+ and a pinch of salt.

I plan to do 50% water changes every 3-4 days and a 100% change every 7 days. Is this enough to help him heal? I'd do more, but I already went though a whole bottle of conditioner and I only have a small bottle of stress coat too so that's getting expensive :P

Though if I need to do more changes, then I will since I don't want the rot to come back.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #2 
Sea Dragon

I also forgot to add that he's a baby, body is under 1.5 inches long, so he doesn't eat a whole lot.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

When I first got Apollo, he'd been in fairly cruddy conditions, and he lost his whole tail as a result. He was a fully-grown, two inch fish, with a couple of centimetres of tail.

All I did to get it to grow back was frequent water changes and keeping the temperature at 82-85. Don't expect it to happen quickly, but it will happen. :) You can keep using StressCoat if you want, but you don't have to. Clean warm water will do the trick. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #4 
Luimeril

generally, clean water will do the trick.

food with protein helps out alot. i used to feed New Life Spectrum Grow, which is a fry food and has alot of protein. another good choice is frozen blood worms.

another good helper is Indian Almond Leaves. the tannins and such helps with scale and fin regrowth.

i have a doubletail who was a nasty tail biter, who i adopted and am tending to. he looked horrid when i got him, but now, his dorsal is HUGE, his anal(which looked like a CT's fins) is coming back in nicely, and his tails are growing in great. all i've done is kept his water extra clean, and added IAL to his tank, a new leaf every two weeks. :B looks nasty, but he loved it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #5 
Sea Dragon

Okay :) My water is currently 80-82 degrees right now since my heater goes by degress celsius. My termometer also only measures to 82 so I'm nervous about raising it. I hope that'll be okay.

Does my planned water change schedule sound okay? Or do you suggest something more frequent?

I'm glad you were able to save your fish :) I hope mine won't be too stubborn ha
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 
Sea Dragon

I have Omega One Pellets and Nutrafin Max flakes. They have 42-46% protein. I also have dried bloodworms, not frozen ones. I can probably catch some live mosquito larvae if those will help.

Thank you for the info!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #7 
Luimeril

don't feed too many of the freeze dried blood worms. x: as much as bettas love them, they're kinda.... i call them potato chips. yummy, but not good all the time. lol

also, give your betta plenty of flare time while his fins regrow. i have a delta who DESTROYED his tail after his blind neighbor passed away. he NEVER flared. owned him since just after the Tsunami in Japan, and he just recently started flaring a few months ago. :I his tail grew in all wrinkled and just looks nasty. he's still my baby, though. i didn't get him because he was purdy. i got him because he felt right. :3
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #8 
Sea Dragon

Noted, I only feed him two or three once a week :) two or three small pieces of course, I don't want him to choke haha... (Actually it would be a horrible thing to watch your fish choke, whatever that may look like o__o )

That's cute to hear you and your betta clicked :') and I'll be sure to do that! Before the whole fin rot thing, I gave him daily sessions for about 3 minutes. I recently toned it down because I thought it would impair the healing. I guess it's quite the opposite. Thanks again for the info :)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #9 
Luimeril

that's how i get all my bettas. they chose me, i don't chose them. recently, i had a choice between four identical reds, and ended up bringing home my pain in the behind, Pyro. :V

it's good to just stretch the fins out, make sure they don't heal all wrinkled up. i've found that Twitch, my DT, loves showing off to the ladies. today, he got to show off for my Plakat female, Lulu. oh, boy did he love that! strutting his stuff, fins spread wide(and i found a pin-hole, the bugger. :I).... of course, his bubble nest tripled in size, but he had his fin stretching. also, i swear he's more colorful. :p a good side-effect of flaring.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #10 
Sea Dragon

My baby doesn't full-on flare continuously like the adults I've noticed. He constantly takes "breaths" between each puff of the gills, does a lap around the tank, then flares again.. Bless him.

Haha that's so cute. I swear, bettas are just like little people :') My friends think I'm crazy though when I try to explain how amazing they are haha. I caught the other betta fish that I'm babysitting flaring at the dark blue scarf I use to cover his temporary jar with *_* I didn't know how long he's been at it and I think he might have a tiny tiny pin hole near the edge of his fins. Not sure if it was there before though since he's recovering from a minor case of pet store rot.