Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
aqua001

Question Odd but important question

I have 6 penguin tetras in my ten gal(overstocked, I know I am getting them a new tank.) So, they live with my betta and eat flakes and brine shrimp. I noticed poop all over the place and my betta is not this messy. the poop was in a stringy sort of shape red and grey in color. I was wondering if this is tetra poop or betta poop? Thanks!

P.S. I know the poop question is awkward but it is better to be safe than sorry!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Don't worry. Poop questions are very important questions. It's a great way to tell the health of an animal that can't speak. I'm constantly examining my fish's poops. lol

What color food are you feeding them? Fish poop is usually the same color as their food. However, the stringy part worries me. It could be a sign of internal parasites.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 
Mo

I do have to agree with the above post. Stringy white poop can be an indicating sign of internal parasites.

Have you noticed any abnormal symptoms towards the fish?
Do they look bloated?
What is your feeding schedule and how much do you feed?
Do you notice this regularly?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
aqua001

Their food is a reddish grayish and greenish. I am away in Washington right now so I don't know know they are doing. I feed them once every day a little pinch. They are not bloated and this is not normal. U see, this stringy stuff is hard to explain. It is stringy but still solid, not dissolving or anything. They are all normal, exitcted to eat, active etc. I would love to get pics up but how?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 
aqua001

I am back from Washington. they seem okay, but 1 tetra died, not sure why. I also did a 50 percent water change today and the water was gross! it had poop all over the rocks so I also changed a filter pad and soaked the decor in boiling water. the poop isn't white it is rather grayish. if this is parasites, are there any recommended meds I should get? I was thinking Maraceyn(sp?) 1 or 2?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 
ladayen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua001 View Post
I am back from Washington. they seem okay, but 1 tetra died, not sure why. I also did a 50 percent water change today and the water was gross! it had poop all over the rocks so I also changed a filter pad and soaked the decor in boiling water. the poop isn't white it is rather grayish. if this is parasites, are there any recommended meds I should get? I was thinking Maraceyn(sp?) 1 or 2?

Ugh.. you've probably just put your tank into a mini cycle if not a full blown start over again. Keep a close on on water parameters for the next week(or more if something is off). A sanitized tank is lethal to fish. You need to keep a certain amount of "junk" to maintain a healthy eco system. If decorations are dirty just use an algae scrub brush to get it off, and just rinse a dirty filter pad in dirty tank water in a bucket to get some of excess crud off. Only replace the pads when they are litterally falling apart or get so clogged that no amount of swishing and swooshing in the bucket gets it reasonably clear.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #7 
aqua001

I wasted that many filter pads!!!!!!!!! Arggggggg, soooooooooo mad! I didn't remove all the junk, just the stuff I could find at the surface.(Which was a lot of gross stuff lol.) If I really did remove too much poop and such, is this why the water won't clear up?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 
ladayen

What do you mean clear up.. is it kinda like a white cloud?

What I do with gravel vac on a non planted tank is do one side every 2 weeks so the entire bottom is only gravel vacced once a month. Some do one side every week but dont do the whole bottom at once either way or you risk sucking up too much bacteria and causing a mini cycle. I am talking about digging around in the substrate here btw, feel free to do a sweep/spot vac over the entire surface every week.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 
aqua001

well, it's almost like tiny bubbles are all over the place so its really fuzzy looking. Aqua has been rather lethargic so I'm suspecting internal parasites? Instead of swimming around like usual, he sits at the bottom more and hides.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 
redchigh

I bet you're overfeeding, but the red poop can come from the brine shrimp. no worries about the color.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote