Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Exclamation Very sick fish! Please help!

Ok, so I caved and bought another betta (just after a week of getting my first!). But I wanted to help a sick fish, and now is my chance. He has very severe velvet, and has trouble swimming the just two inches to the top of his cup (I literally just got home). I bought a hospital tank, and I already have aquarium salt. Now I need to know, what should I do first? Do I just put an inch or so of water in the tank (no substrate if I remember correctly)? And when/how should I start the AQ salt treatment? PLEASE help me help this fishy! (Obviously I can't answer any of the required questions since I bought him minutes ago.)
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

According to this site, velvet is treated the same as Ick. If his case is severe as you say, you may want to skip ahead to the meds

Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.

For the salt treatment I use an old gallon milk jug and add a teaspoon to the water along with conditioner. Shake the jug up if you still have the cap and wait for the salt to disolve. Then add it to the tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
LinkLover

Ok. Should I start treatment immediately or wait until tomorrow? I don't want to shock the fish.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

did you put him in the hospital tank yet?
how is he looking otherwise? Is there rapid gill movement or anything?

I have never delt with velvet before. I think I would start some type of treatment right away if his case is bad. Start with the 1 teaspoon per gallon but you may want to slowly remove the old water and add in the new water. I would use a turkey baster or syringe to swap water. Every 15 or so minutes swap out more old water for salt water. That way he will slowly get used it it as opposed to just filling up a tank and putting him into it. 12 hours after you add him to the salt you want to add another teaspoon. depending on how big your tank is, you may want to dump out all the water and use new water that has 2 teaspoons of salt in it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I found this on another post about velvet via Sakura.
Quote:
The best way to treat velvet is with high heat, 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon, darkness, and LOTS of water changes.. Get the heat up to about 85-86 degrees F and cover the tank so it is as dark as possible. Velvet responds to light so the darker, the better. Some people have even stuffed the tank into a dark closet. o.O

Every day, change 100% of the water and redose the salt. This is the key because the water changes remove all the velvet spores that fall off because of the salt. If you don't change the water, the spores have a chance to reattach/reproduce.

Continue this treatment until the gold flecks are gone and he is no longer rubbing and then continue for 3 more days after that, gradually bringing the heat back down to a normal 78-80.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #6 
LinkLover

Thank you so much! I saw Sakuras' response while searching for information, and I think I'm going to try that. I have him in his tank right now, with a heater and under a towel. Tomorrow when I wake up I'll start adding salt to his water. I think I'll take out half a gallon (I only filled the tank with one gallon of water to make it easier for him to get to the surface) and add the salt to that, and then put the new water in his tank. Then the next day I'll do a 100% water change using two teaspoons of salt. Should I try giving him a pellet or two tomorrow?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

you can try feeding him but usually they wont eat if sick. They can go several weeks without food. I had one not eat for almost 4 weeks.

if you have frozen or dried bloodworms he may try that
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #8 
LinkLover

Thank you!