Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

Question Betta curling to one side and not eating and being lethargic?

she was swimming to the right and curling to the right, but i got her to swim left a little. she sits at the bottom of the tank and ignored food.

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78.4
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yeah
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 other girl bettas, all fine, and 6 neon and glow lite tetras that school together

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra min tropical crisps
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? when i need it
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner and ph up

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost 0
pH:6.8
Hardness: somewhat hard, i dont remember the exact numbers
Alkalinity: forget, low

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? her color is suddenly dull
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, curling to one side, barely noticeable
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? blind in one eye, most sick when i got her
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 
Taryn

Sounds like the same thing Fishy had

Ok, so I know Fishy is kind of a dumb name, it's actually Sushi, but he just kind of ended up Fishy. He had the same problem a couple of years ago. Rushed him to (no kidding) a Marine Biologist that happens to have an aquarium store nearby. he said first, that poor old Fishy was grossly over weight, I know, right? But then he said that it was called Swim Bladder Disorder. he told me that due to over feeding him with dried food, it had actually constipated him, thereby pushing his swim bladder off to the side, which makes him float kind of strange, so he over compensates by swimming crooked; kind of sideways and really awkward. He said not to feed him for 24 hours and then if you can get him to eat part of a green pea (take the skin off and try to give him a piece) that will sometimes clear out their digestive tract. But, of course Diva Fishy wasn't having anything to do with the pea. We waited about 48 hours before he would try to eat anything, and then gave him frozen blood worms (obviously thawed) one tiny little worm at a time with tweezers, seriously, no kidding. He also said that you should put a small amount of aquarium salt in every time you do a water change. I keep a fresh plant in his bowl, so i only have to change about every 2 weeks to a month, but KEEP IN MIND, the salt has a cumulative effect; don't keep adding more, it doesn't evaporate with the water!!! To this day, Fishy eats his thawed blood worms every day from tweezers (seriously, he actually lays in his little betta hammock to eat, what a clown ) and I kid you not, he is over 5 years old. I got him in the spring of 2007. He's awesome! I hope that helps!
Taryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #3 
Taryn

Just tried to reply to you, cuz i think I knows whats wrong with your fish, not too good at using this site, just signed up. Look at the thread i posted titled :sounds like what Fishy had" sorry, hope it's info you can use!
Taryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

it was dropsy, shes dead
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote