Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
nel3

anacharis congealing together.

i have 10-12 strands of anacharis in my 5g tank. ive noticed that they've gotten a sort of sac that covers and bunches up the strands themselves. its the light green translucent areas on the anacharis. my fish dont seem to be harmed so im not worried atm but just what is that sac encasing the anacharis? its relatively recent as i did a 3g wc march 30 and all those strands were untangled and left to float freely.

nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 
Crazykat

From what I can see, that looks like blue-green algae, which is a cyanobacteria, and seriously obnoxious to get rid of. If you reach in and pull at that webbing stuff, does it come off like a slimy sheet? If it does, it's BG algae.
I know that oldfishlady got rid of an infestation with intensive water changes. The only way I managed to get rid of my lot was by treating with erythromycin and then increasing filtration and adding more plants.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

possible BGA (blue-green Algae)... in fact i'm pretty sure of it due to the fact that it's encapsulating air bubbles... It's not actually an algae but it's a Cyanobacteria. I'm fighting it in a couple of my tanks.

Mine was partially linked to having too hot of a light on my tank. Can also be caused by too long of a photoperiod. Best defense is to just change the water more often.

ways to kill it:
1. Blackout the tank. no light whatsoever for 3 days
2. douse it with an anti-fungal

good luck, i have as yet been able to 100% eliminate it.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
From what I can see, that looks like blue-green algae, which is a cyanobacteria, and seriously obnoxious to get rid of. If you reach in and pull at that webbing stuff, does it come off like a slimy sheet? If it does, it's BG algae.
I know that oldfishlady got rid of an infestation with intensive water changes. The only way I managed to get rid of my lot was by treating with erythromycin and then increasing filtration and adding more plants.
thank you very much for the quick reply. ive removed the affected areas, didnt matter as it grows pretty fast and some are just brown atm. i'll do a 1g wc for added mesure. i cant take all the anacharis out bc the VT might have some issues but i got no extra fake plants to begin with. i know CB can make problems in the wild so ive taken these steps. wisteria did pretty well until teh mother plant was trimmed but im not sure on other replacement plants. might get some duck weed and chuck any extra if it takes over the tanks.

ive done what i can about the situation for the time being until i can get other measures to control CB. atm ive removed the crafting mesh baffler on the out flow and i could pull one of the aq foam filter media later if needed. looks like the flow still pushes the VT around so i added some aq foam to baffle the outflow a bit. i think i had insufficient plants for the fert i put in
as for fert dosing: 29-1 12 1g=1ml, 13 2 121ml25 2 12 2.5ml,9 3 12 1.5ml, 23 3 12 1ml. i never did a full dose of ferts to avoid algea blooms and i still have some manageble diatom issues.

Last edited by nel3; 04-06-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
nel3

@ evilvog, i do have jungle fungus eliminator, will that work for CB? just shut the lights off (9hr photo period).
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

yeah, i asked a bunch of places about how to deal with it and was told every different brand under the sun, but they all had the same active ingredient. Note that it only partially worked for me, it stopped the progress, but didn't completely eliminate the problem, and the plant in the tank started dying as well.

12 hr. photoperiod is what i do here, so you're good there, all i can really think of other than all that is just start changing your water more often.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yikes! That sucks. I had what I think was black hair algae, and it weighed down my floating plant o_O and entangled my fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Yikes! That sucks. I had what I think was black hair algae, and it weighed down my floating plant o_O and entangled my fish.
i got that also in the 5g. the crafting mesh baffle and on the silk plants. its also on some of my anacharis. i got a new plant today its one of those high light pinkish red. probably A. reinicki. dont have the camera on me atm. it'll take up some of the space for the 5g bright side.

i'll go thru some more water changes then for the tank and hope it stops.

Last edited by nel3; 04-06-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

do water changes work for black hair algae? -.- I threw out that plant. and boiled my fabric plants.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
do water changes work for black hair algae? -.- I threw out that plant. and boiled my fabric plants.
no, i just take a toothbrush to the fabric plants every few weeks. the pic there is just about the best i can do with elbow grease. the algea makes the fabric leaves all black and icky if left alone