Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #11 
TheCheese909

Yes! Ghost Shrimp can eat your Betta's fins! This happened to a friend's Betta, a shrimp attached itself to her Betta's tail and was eating it.

Using a small 1 gallon aquarium for a quarantine tank is your best bet- it's easier to change the water out on, and you'll be needing to do that every few days.

Also, his fins should recover just fine given time.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #12 
Sandrilene

I think he has velvet. He is sort of shimmery. The water is super clean I don't know how he got it. I'm gonna put him in a smaller thing to treat and try salt first i guess. I've read a lot of stuff saying its very easy to kill fish with medicine so I'm scared to try. Is velvet also contagious to ghost shrimp or is it just a fish disease? I need to know if i need to try and treat them as well. maybe the shrimp are picking at him when he is trying to sleep? I've never seen him attack his own fins, but now all of the fins seem affected by whatever is going on. I set out a bunch of water knowing i`d have to do something regardless.
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #13 
TheCheese909

As far as I know shrimp cannot catch fishy diseases nor can they be treated with medications.

Can anyone else confirm this for me?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #14 
Sandrilene

well i tried putting him in the smaller tank with properly measured AQ salt and stress coat. when i did he went to the bottom and turned on a 45 degree angle and started gasping (i tried it first on my healthier fish since he has a couple spots i'm worried about and he 100% fine. EXACT same water (different containers filled with the same water source i didn't share the water). I don't know if he is too far gone or if i should put him back in and hope for the best or what to do. I took him out and put him back in his tank since he wasn`t reacting well. Anyone have any advice? if not he will probably be dead soon. It looks like he has lost the little fins by his gills too. His tail is now 50% or more dissolved. It's not looking good.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #15 
Sandrilene

ok been observing him he just had the small fins against his sides, very hard to see because they are black (it really did look like they were gone i was freaking out). Since the other betta is doing great in its smaller medical tank i decided to try differently for him and put him in his small cup and am floating it in his tank so he can be warmer. He seems to be doing better with this method. The stress coat seems to have calmed him down too. The only other thing I can think of to mention in case this doesn`t work so i can try to treat him with medicines is that his chin? (do fish have chins?) is turning white? not spotty but solid. No idea whats going on with him. It does look like he has red on his fin today a tiny little section is red barely visible (but since I am off today am finally around enough to see it) I think it is one of the shrimp. So what the heck do i do with the shrimp? I mean if its destroying my bettas fins I obviously don't want it with them. I guess he will end up completely alone... since he destroys snails and shrimp destroy him. ugh so frustrating. So my big questions are 1. is the white under his chin something to worry about, like am i treating it wrong? Since his fins are messed up he needs this treatment anyways but do I need to do another treatment for the white? or am i dumb and he is changing color? 2. what to do with shrimp? 3. can you add stress coat to regular tank on regular basis until his fins recover or is that a bad idea for some smart reason i don't know? 4. Should i be adding it afterwards anyways is it good for them to just have? 5. How long should i keep him in the cup? I'm going to CLEAN his tank like everything is getting super cleaned this time and he is staying in his cup for awhile (at least til i figure out what to do with shrimp).

Last edited by Sandrilene; 04-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.