Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Exclamation Everyone please read - dangers of pest snails

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted here, because I've been busy battling with narcolepsy and school at the same time. But, I need to bring up something very important to everyone and spread the word so that this does not happen to you.

I have had two bettas divided in a 10g tank for awhile now. No problems at all. Two happy fish. I had moved some plants from one tank into this tank, not remembering that I had a few pest snails in that tank (I have a loach taking care of them now). The snails spread in my 10g tank despite water changes - I wasn't about to pick every single little snail off of the divider. Perhaps being asleep 90% of the time and school made me incredibly careless. I did take them both out of the tank and soak everything in hot hot water to kill the snails, except the filter. There are fewer in the tank now, but they are still there.

About two weeks ago, I noticed that one of my bettas, my orange one Laki, had a lump in his throat, between the bottom of his two gills, below his mouth. I dismissed it as just food, since he's always been a small betta. I floated him in a tupperware bowl for a few days so he could get air. Three days in, the lump wasn't going down. He couldn't eat, and the only other thing it could have been in his throat was a small snail. His condition worsening, I decided to order some clove oil and send him on his way. Before it could arrive, he died during the night. It was apparent that his labrynth organ was blocked and his gills were in overdrive, but it wasn't enough to save him.

I took the divider out of the tank and pulled out the 1-2 snails on the side of the tank, and bought a loach to take care of the remaining snails. But I think it was too late. Even though I see no snails now, the second betta in that tank now has a small lump in his throat. Just to make sure it was indeed a lump, I put one small pellet in the tank and just like Laki, he had a hard time grasping the pellet, and when he did, the lump in his throat grew. He is now in a breeding trap so that he can get air if he does sink down to the bottom. I'm going to monitor him for a day or two to see if his condition worsens or if he passes the snail, but he's most likely on his way out as well. :(

Betta owners, if you have pest snails in your tank, GET THEM OUT! I've never seen this stressed before here, but I'm stressing it now. Two bettas lost in two weeks, that has to be a record.

Thanks for listening guys. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Edit: Is this tl;dr for you? Here's the short:
Don't leave pest snails in your tank. They've choked two of my bettas.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 
wystearya

Even if they don't choke, a Betta could overeat and become bloated if there are many small snails in a tank.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :(
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 
Ajones108

They always ignored the snails so I didn't think about it. But as per mentioned, situations made me careless and gave blurred judgment. They probably swallowed the ones on the surface of the water on the glass while attempting to eat food.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #5 
lexylex0526

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! But thanks for sharing this info with us!:)
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I've never had a problem. Most of my snails were too big for their mouths :) And all my males, if they dared to nom on one, spat it out because it had a hard shell.

Sorry to hear about what happened, though.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I am sorry for your loss, however, did you preform a necropsy on the Betta-if not you can't be 100% sure that is was a snail-I have thousands of pest snails and thousands of Bettas over the many years I have kept them and have never had this happen....

Again sorry for your loss....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

haha the worse I have heard snails doing, is clogging your filter!!! and that IS a pain.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote