Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 
DancingCorpse

Betta is a pig?

Hi, I got a Betta about a month ago, he was in a 4 gallon by himself until today (just got a 20 gallon long and set up). The fish I have in there with him are on flake food.

I had him on Hikari Betta Bio Gold for food, and now that he is in the 20 gallon, I notice he is eating his food and the other fishes food indiscriminately, which is Tropical Crisps for the Tetras and Shrimp Pellets for the Oto and shrimp. I tried switching to Tropical Flakes instead of the Crisps, but he just ate those faster since they aren't crisps.

Apparently he loves all food, and now he is bloated. Wait, damn, that means he's like me.

Any way to get him not to eat the other fishes food and over feed himself?
DancingCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well if he's bloating himself that's certainly a problem! Betta have no sense of being full, and will eat and eat.
The easiest thing to do, is to lure him to a corner with food, scoop him up and feed him in a separate container, and let him out when everyone is done :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I lure my bettas to one side, and the other fish just follow the other hand Betta fish, have the sense of "I'll eat what is there because who knows when I will get fed next!" which in the wild, sometimes food is not available all the time... so they stuff their little faces :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #4 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I lure my bettas to one side, and the other fish just follow the other hand Betta fish, have the sense of "I'll eat what is there because who knows when I will get fed next!" which in the wild, sometimes food is not available all the time... so they stuff their little faces :)
Well put. Betta's are running on natural instinct as they may go weeks without food in the wild. They will gourge themselves to death if allowed.

Some betta's are worse then others in terms of food greed. My crowntail female is like this, ugh! Part of the challenge is keeping her occupied during food time.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I know what you mean. Now, I've had ONE male who eats what he wants and leaves the rest. Weirdo. xD But that's one out of.... over 25 ever owned. The others gourge 'til they'll die hahaha!! My Ghengis is constipated and he is STILL begging
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

get one of those things you put on the side of the tank for fry, and put him in it during feeding, then let him out and he will clean up the food the other fish didnt eat, so you dont have to! bettas are so polite ;)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #7 
Pogthefish

and u dont hav 2 feed the while they r in there because they will eat once they are out.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote