Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
laoshun

Dorsal Fin Injury?

One of my bettas seemed to somehow split his dorsal to the point where its not just a rip, it seems like there is one section just ripped off.

My question is, does it grow back or because the stem of the dorsal is missing that his dorsal will just be funny looking forever.

| | __| | <--- the two columns are the fins and the empty space is the the missing dorsal. (just to paint a picture)
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #2 
Enkil

It will grow back. Our Hannibal ripped his off all the way to his back. It has grown back quite nicely and looks even healthier than it ever did before.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 
laoshun

wow thats a surprise, because I thought once one of the roots of the fins is out that it wouldn't grow back.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 
Enkil

Hannibal's has grown back really well. I'll see if he will pose for some pictures tonight. Was a nightmare when it happened, but he seems quite happy.
Just be sure to feed plenty of protein. I fed him pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen daphnia.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
One of my bettas seemed to somehow split his dorsal to the point where its not just a rip, it seems like there is one section just ripped off.

My question is, does it grow back or because the stem of the dorsal is missing that his dorsal will just be funny looking forever.

| | __| | <--- the two columns are the fins and the empty space is the the missing dorsal. (just to paint a picture)
I would recommend at min. making sure he gets plenty of water changes... just to be on the safe side. Bettas who have injured any fin are at risk for getting infection.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 
Myates

Keep up with your weekly water changes (depends on size of tank, filtered, cycle, etc) and a high protein diet will help keep his fins from developing fin rot (brought on by bacteria, as well as fungus). Otherwise, as mentioned before.. just have to wait it out to grow back.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #7 
laoshun

should i mix up the diet with dried bloodworms or is it better to stay consistent with pellets?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #8 
Myates

You can add in some as a meal (or a light snack mid-day) once or twice a week. They have decent protein, but lack in everything else which makes them pretty much empty calories. I would go for live foods or stick with your pellets as long as they are a good quality.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote