Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Betta barracks log

Well I had a large betta barracks system made up over Christmas and I've only just gotten around to filling it up.

The hardest part was finding somewhere to put it, and customising a spraybar to fit in each section.

It's a decent size, giving each betta roughly 4x12x12 inches, or 2.5 gallons each. At the moment it is only set-up with some hornwort and azolla as nutrient sponges and with the females I had to move out of my now torn down sorority.

The spray bar is experimental but it seems to be evenly circulating heat. I also intend on putting a small sponge filter in each section to help with circulation and biological filtration.

The water is only cloudy because of the ADA aquasoil being disturbed. Still thinking of just kicking that out and running it bare-bottom.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 
samual989

What did the acrylic and the sprayer tips run you? Where did u get the spray tip/nozzles?
samual989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Everything the spraybar consists of is designed for sprinklers. So I just picked them at the local hardware store for around $20-30 for the lot.

The spray tips are good as they let me regulate flow into each compartment.

I'm just hoping my end cap doesn't come shooting off at some point and spray water everywhere.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 
Zero186

Neat build! Spray bars are tricky to get just right but awesome when they are. Just make sure you have a good amount of sealant on the end cap ;)
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

That's beautiful, LBF! You should make a thing on how to build a drip filtration system. :)
Why can't shops keep their bettas like that?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks Bombularina. The store I purchased it from actually houses their bettas in filtered, heated barracks. It's one of the reasons I shop there.

The spraybar was pretty simple. If you've put together sprinklers before, it was essentially like that. I can post up a quick picture tutorial if anyone is particularly interested.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

I am. When I start breeding in a few years, that's the kind of setup I want for my boys.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #8 
samual989

Interested. But also wondered glass/acyrlic cost also! I have a pvc airline system running now with one gallon pickle jars. Looking to up grade within the year but buy throughout the year, to defer the costs.
samual989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I got mine made up completely for under $200, but the owner under-quoted (I thought at the time the price I paid for the labour and glass was very cheap). I expected it to be in the region of $250-350 as it is fairly large and fiddly.

I can tell how well the filter system is working now because I accidentally put a fish in who had velvet (don't know how or when he got it but I guess that's Murphy's Law) and I have been treating with medication. It seems to be dispersing the heat evenly as well, but I just need to card my males as they are flaring more than I would like.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #10 
bettasusa

This is just beautiful! Is there a spare room for me and my bettas in AU with you? lol Love it!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote