Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Look for a few bird forums, read some posts by new members and see how people react to questions. Some forums are filled with jerks. Find one that seems to be filled with friendlier people..
Birds are very expensive.. I don't think I'll have one for a long time, but I do want to specialize in birds for my vet training. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #12 
betta lover1507

k thanks
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #13 
LuckyBlue

I have some Bird Talk magazines I could send to you. Ask your mom if you can send me your address so I can mail them to you..

Bird Clubs usually don't have a fee to pay. It is just people who have birds who get together... I know a couple in Chicago... let me think about it when I remember the names I'll let you know. I went to a couple meetings before.

I haven't been on a bird forum on the internet for years, but I'm sure there are some good ones like this one except for birds.

Just a couple ideas... Also, like the one person said it may take months or a year for them to get friendly. It takes patience. I have a Grey that came from another home.. it took him a year for him to get comfortable..

How big is your cage? I might have a cage you could have that would be good for two birds.

Talk to your mom about it. I will be in Chicago on the 28th for actually a bird show in St. Charles..... maybe you could go to the bird show with your mom.. I could meet you and give you the cage and some magazines... just a thought..... This bird show sells toys, cages, books,,,, ect..... It is at the County Fairgrounds there. ... They have raffles and birds and all kinds of stuff and you might find some help there.... Birds really are cool pets, don't get too frustrated just yet...
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 
LuckyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Look for a few bird forums, read some posts by new members and see how people react to questions. Some forums are filled with jerks. Find one that seems to be filled with friendlier people..
Birds are very expensive.. I don't think I'll have one for a long time, but I do want to specialize in birds for my vet training. :D
YEAH!!!! A future Bird Vet......!!! There are definitely NOT enough!! Are you in vet training now? Which one?
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBlue View Post
YEAH!!!! A future Bird Vet......!!! There are definitely NOT enough!! Are you in vet training now? Which one?
No, sadly I still have a full year of highschool, 3 years of undergrad, and 4 years of basic vet training. ;-; Life is so hard. I'm planning on taking the vet course in Guelph, Ontario.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #16 
Twilight Storm

I agree bird shows are fun LuckyBlue! When I was in elementary school I had begged my mom to take me to one with her friends. All bred birds, even me as a kid lol. What I remember most clearly is a few trade show vendors looking at me dumbfounded as I was asking detailed questions about products they had on demo on their tables. One guy looked from me, to my mom, back to me and stared at me a min. before answering my question LOL!!! Good Times! I wish the internet existed when I was younger. If it did I probably would have been an even geekier child LOL. Haven't thought of that in years!! :D

Aside from that... I hope your cockatiels are doing better Betta Lover :D Have you made any progress building trust with them?
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #17 
lvandert

Don't give up! I told you when you were first thinking of getting them that they may take 3-6 months just to not be freaked out and another 6 months to get used to you. Unless you get a cockatiel when their a hatching they can be a bear. When you do separate them keep the cages side by side. May I suggest a blanket draped over the sides for comfort (instead of a wall). Keep me posted!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I housed a male and female cockatiel together and they never fought. However, they lived in a larger size aviary with room to fly around a bit and space to get away from each other. In a smaller cage and what sounds to be a rather stressful environment, this may not be the case.

You really have to be patient with birds. I would personally just leave the cage door open, don't touch the birds, don't approach the birds and just let them decide the limits of their comfort zone. Animals are naturally curious, and I've found if you ignore them for long enough they will want to know what you are doing. You need to get them to be comfortable enough to approach you. You can't force anything with animals.

My female was never tame. When we got her she hissed at you, bit you and used to huddle at the back of her cage shaking. While she never became fully tame (she lived outside) she would eventually take food from my hand and come groom my hair.

You really need to use positive enforcement. Our cockatiels loved grass seeds and millet seed so I'd hold out that and they be so busy eating they wouldn't realise I was slowly moving it closer and closer towards me. Gradually our female realised I was only meant good things so she became less stressed in my presence. I used to put my finger next to the perch and just leave it there while she was eating, and from time to time she'd hop onto it.

I don't profess to be a bird expert or anything at all, but this is just some of my experiences. I really recommend either finding a good breeder, or joining a reputable forum or club (yes gasp you may actually have to expend some money in the process) and just taking whatever information you are provided and adding it to your tool box.

Birds are as much a commitment as a dog or cat, and you really want to nip any behavioral problems in the bud as it will make your and their lives hell.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree with LBF. Working with any prey animals is a delicate process compared to predators. Unless hand raised very well, even if they were, they always have that "something's going to eat me" ticking in their minds. You have to prove that you aren't going to do something bad to them. Birds are also individuals. If they weren't hand raised it's possible that they will never fully trust you, and you have to be willing to accept it, not get in their space, and admire them from afar.
Posted via Mobile Device