Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 
lilyth88

Upcoming Move...

So my boyfriend and I have been house-hunting for going on a month now. We toured about 6 homes today and narrowed it down to 2 that we are really in love with. We are set up for second showings of them next Tuesday, and most likely will be putting an offer in on one. That being said, I have never tried moving with fish before. I would love ideas and suggestions on how best to do it while providing minimum stress for my babies. I will definitely be testing the water in the new house since it is in a suburb of the city we are in now. (i.e. different water.) I expect if our offer is accepted, we would be actually moving in June, when our apartment lease is up.

Edit: I shouldn't say suburb. It is about 20 miles outside of town. Close enough to commute though.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Clean buckets with lids are the best way to transport fish around(if you don't have a clean bucket you can use the dirty bucket and cover it in a liner[such as a garbage bag]), you should gather all your fish that are fine being around each other and put them in a bucket with as much tank water than you can fit in it and seal it up. For aggressive fish like bettas, you should bag them up and keep them in or around your empty tank(s). You should take as much tank water as you can so they won't get stressed by the new water chemistry. When moving your tanks, be sure to keep the substrate moist and to make sure they won't be somewhere where they can break( I put mine in the backseat ).

Avoid bumps and heavy turns and they should be happy in their new home.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #3 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
Clean buckets with lids are the best way to transport fish around(if you don't have a clean bucket you can use the dirty bucket and cover it in a liner[such as a garbage bag]), you should gather all your fish that are fine being around each other and put them in a bucket with as much tank water than you can fit in it and seal it up. For aggressive fish like bettas, you should bag them up and keep them in or around your empty tank(s). You should take as much tank water as you can so they won't get stressed by the new water chemistry. When moving your tanks, be sure to keep the substrate moist and to make sure they won't be somewhere where they can break( I put mine in the backseat ).

Avoid bumps and heavy turns and they should be happy in their new home.

We only have the two at the moment. Sookie and Gandalf. Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-1642...3777272&sr=8-8
Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 
Sea Dragon

I think the water would move around less in something like, say a pickle jar. I used medium/large jars for a 12 hour car ride and my bettas were fine :) I'm not sure if there are better options though.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
ZergyMonster

You should get something with a lot of height vs something with a lot of width because it will not shake the surface of the water too much. I used an old sunflower seed bucket.

If you only have the two bettas to transport you can even put them in the small cups they came in when you bought them of put them in a small bag and transport them that way. This thread shows how to ship a betta and when transporting them to a new location, this can used used as well. I would only recommend the bagging portion because a 20 minute drive is not going to warrant all that work and purchased items.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #6 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
You should get something with a lot of height vs something with a lot of width because it will not shake the surface of the water too much. I used an old sunflower seed bucket.

If you only have the two bettas to transport you can even put them in the small cups they came in when you bought them of put them in a small bag and transport them that way. This thread shows how to ship a betta and when transporting them to a new location, this can used used as well. I would only recommend the bagging portion because a 20 minute drive is not going to warrant all that work and purchased items.
Unfortunately the cup Sookie came in (our girl) cracked. We only have the one that Gandalf came in. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Buying a house and moving is stressful enough for humans, I can't imagine how it must be for bettas. They have no idea what's going on, lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 
xjenuhfur

The cup Goblin came in cracked, I just went back to the pet store and asked for another. They'll give you one of you ask nicely. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
The cup Goblin came in cracked, I just went back to the pet store and asked for another. They'll give you one of you ask nicely. :)
Ooh, maybe I'll do that. Maybe try batting the baby greens.. LOL!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #9 
Silverfang

A plastic bag would work as well. I'm going to be moving in a months time. I'm planing on using some 12 pound bags to move my boys and girls.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 
lilyth88

Another question. The house we are going to make an offer on would need some interior paint. Any recommendations on how far to keep the bettas away from the painted room until the fumes go away?