Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 
malonlonlon

Unhappy My once active betta laying is now very inactive?

***First off, I know this is a lot of text, but please have patience with me and help my fish****

My betta lives in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and water heater. The temperature is about 75, but I've bumped it up to around 80 because I'm hoping his inactivity is just him being cold.

A few months ago, I moved his tank because he was getting a lot of direct light and I was getting a really creepy algae boom.
It would stay green on his rocks and wouldn't look too bad, unless you moved the rocks around, and then all of the sudden a huge wave for green would come out from under them and dominate the tank. I tried a black out and it cleared it up, so I moved the tank to a darker area.

I used to have a very small fish living with my betta, they got along very well. Suddenly that fish has vanished and my betta lays there at the bottom of the bowl. He used to swim back and forth and go crazy for food. Now I never see him eat when I put food in there and he just lays at the bottom. Occasionally he will get up and move over an inch and continue laying at the bottom of his tank. He no longer flairs his fins up and does not look very happy.

I got my water checked and they said it was fine.

I don't know what to do or what I did wrong??
Should I move him back to the light and just let the algae go crazy? He seemed to have no problem with it, I just didn't like it and that's why I tried to kill it off.

I really love my betta, and don't want to lose him. My local pet stores have a terrible amount of knowledge on betta's, so I'm hoping you guys can please help me out.
Please help.
malonlonlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
Pogthefish

hmmmmm i have the same problem with my gal, and i was doing research. how long have you had this fish?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
Sea Dragon

Perhaps he suddenly ate the fish, does he look bloated?
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
malonlonlon

He doesn't look bloated, or fat at all, but he's not skinny. Looks like a healthy weight.

I've had him for about a year.
Bumping the temps didn't work /:
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
malonlonlon

Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 
lilyth88

Does he have any appearance changes that you can see?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 
malonlonlon

Not really, I mean, his eyes look a little large.
He has always kinda had strange eyes to me because he is my first dark betta (usually mine are very light) but I'm wondering if he has pop-eye.
And if so, does anyone know how I can get rid of this? Could pop-eye change his entire behavior like this?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 
lilyth88

Quote:
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
That is from another thread on this site. If he has always had these eyes (how long have you had him) then I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say that is what it is.

Shine a flashlight on him and tell us what you see. (Don't shine it in his eyes if you can help it)
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9 
malonlonlon

That is extremely helpful. Thanks.

Yeah, it looks like his right eye is a little bigger than his left. Should I take the filter out when I treat his water with the salt?

I shined the flashlight and didn't see any weird spotting or anything. He looks like he might be starting to get fin rot.

I have the API Fungus Cure and the API Melafix. Both require me to remove the filters. Isn't it a water cleanliness problem though? Wouldn't removing the filter be defeating what I am trying to do? Both are pretty much a weekly dosing, and then it says to repeat if it persists. I don't really like either of the products.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #10 
lilyth88

Quote:
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
I would take out the filter media (you can run the filter empty depending on what type of filter you have) and just run it empty. Read the water change instructions with the Fungus Cure and change appropriately. Test the water every day as well. Also, if you could post a picture of this potential fin-rot, that would help. I am currently treating a fish for Columnaris. I know how rough it is to not really know what's wrong. We couldn't diagnose her for the longest time.

Tags
fish behavior, inactive fish