Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #11 
lilyth88

Do you have him in a hospital tank? I find it's much easier to treat in those, rather than work around their existing tank with decorations. Much easier to do water changes then too. Sookie is currently in a 1 gallon hospital.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #12 
malonlonlon

Sookie looks like a little bruiser!

No, I don't have him in one, but I thought about it though.
I will keep working on the pictures, I can't seem to get in a good position to take one of him.

I just completely cleaned his tank, once I got down to the rocks I saw a lot of green flair up. So I ended up throwing out over half of them. I washed everything with hot water and then put the ES in. Hopefully this will make an impact.
I think I'll put the salt in once every day for 5 days and if he's still acting funky, I'll search out the heavy chemicals. Does that sound smart?
malonlonlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #13 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by malonlonlon View Post
Sookie looks like a little bruiser!

No, I don't have him in one, but I thought about it though.
I will keep working on the pictures, I can't seem to get in a good position to take one of him.

I just completely cleaned his tank, once I got down to the rocks I saw a lot of green flair up. So I ended up throwing out over half of them. I washed everything with hot water and then put the ES in. Hopefully this will make an impact.
I think I'll put the salt in once every day for 5 days and if he's still acting funky, I'll search out the heavy chemicals. Does that sound smart?
Green isn't a big deal. Normally just algae. I just rinse that off.

The salt is a good idea, but I'd say if he looks worse during that 5 days, go with chemicals. I don't like going the chemical route either, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #14 
malonlonlon

Yeah, and it seems that anytime I try with chemicals they end up just dying faster. I swear the harder I try to help them the faster they die.

Hopefully the salts will work out, it's only been a day now, but he hasn't been moving much. Yesterday when I put him back into the tank he swam behind in the little silk leaves forest and crammed himself between two leaves for the day. It was weird looking.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to try my best to save him. It's extra stressful and hard when you have no direction.
malonlonlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #15 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by malonlonlon View Post
Yeah, and it seems that anytime I try with chemicals they end up just dying faster. I swear the harder I try to help them the faster they die.

Hopefully the salts will work out, it's only been a day now, but he hasn't been moving much. Yesterday when I put him back into the tank he swam behind in the little silk leaves forest and crammed himself between two leaves for the day. It was weird looking.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to try my best to save him. It's extra stressful and hard when you have no direction.
Trust me, I know the feeling. I find it easiest to treat in a hospital tank. Much easier to clean out. Also, make sure you are dissolving the aquarium salt prior to putting it in the tank.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #16 
Pogthefish

y do u dissolve it first? i just use one of those cups with holes in the top and pour it in nd it dissolves in
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #17 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
y do u dissolve it first? i just use one of those cups with holes in the top and pour it in nd it dissolves in
I typically put it in a bottle and shake it around a ton to dissolve it. Then I pour it back and forth into the water. Seems like it gets more dispersed that way. If you just pour it in, it takes awhile to dissolve.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #18 
Pogthefish

well with the cup it keeps dissolving in and u dont hav 2 replace it every time u do a water change
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #19 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
well with the cup it keeps dissolving in and u dont hav 2 replace it every time u do a water change

To each his own.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #20 
Pogthefish

her :P

Tags
fish behavior, inactive fish