Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 
underdebate

So, uh. I went to buy a new heater. (li'l picspam)

(Do I even need to finish that train of thought?)

My rapidly-expanding betta family just welcomed its two newest members home today: Veetor and Idaho. (Petsmart was selling off 2.5 gallon tanks, god help me.) Both of them are sick/injured and in need of a little TLC, but after the adventure that was Isaac, I think I can handle it.

This is Idaho. He's very tiny (or perhaps the other boys are just huge); as you can see he's missing a huge chunk out of his tail, but the water I found him in was clean-ish and I can already see a bit of regrowth. (Salt it is!) He'll have funny-shaped fins, but that's okay. He's a spunky little thing.

And this is Veetor. By comparison, his water was absolutely FILTHY-- just filled with gunk and about two week's worth of poop at the bottom. I couldn't tell at first because he was clamping up quite a bit at the store, but he's a very pretty red-cream crowntail with white tips; he'll be in my hospital tank for the next little while to keep an eye on his scales (can't tell if they're naturally like that or not) and what may or may not be the beginning of some sort of bacterial infection. He's shy and a little skittish, but he seems to be opening up.

Anyway, took them home, set up their new tanks, gave them some time to calm down after the drive over and then got them all acclimatized. Idaho's tank:

Little guy had some trouble swimming at first (big spaces are a little daunting, especially when you're missing half a fin), but he seems to have gotten the hang of it over the past few hours. (There may or may not be some gravel in there.. eventually. As of now it's being used as a sort-of-hospital-tank with frequent water changes, just to prevent any rot or infection since I'm not sure how long he's had the injury.)

Veetor's hospital tank:

He's loving those leaves currently. The bowl is a 1-gallon but you almost wouldn't know it from how big he can flare those fins.

And, just for good measure, Isaac's tank:

A funny aside: after taking him home, Isaac spent about two months being treated inside his cup, and then inside the hospital bowl, and was pretty unaccustomed to bigger spaces. Putting him into the tank for the first time resulted in SHEER TERROR, which gradually faded into curiosity and then darting-around-must-explore-everything-excitement. He seems to have overcome his agoraphobia at this point.

About a week ago, I was also lucky enough to adopt this handsome gentleman from another forum-goer. His name is Kal (..yes, Kal and Veetor. I don't suppose there are any other gamers on here?), and quite frankly once I got my hands on him I think Isaac developed a bit of an inferiority complex. He's my first halfmoon, and even I'M a bit jealous of him.

Seriously, look at him. I haven't been able to get a good shot of him flaring yet (and he does.. mostly at Isaac during water changes, and of course Isaac remains completely oblivious), but oh boy, is it ever a sight.

And the setup.

So, uh. That was my day. Fingers crossed everyone's health stays in check from here on out, because I swear if I have to deal with another case of fin rot I am going to DIE.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

I have to laugh every time I read thread titles like this. These little fish are SOOO addictive, aren't they????? I already have 4 and I keep checking Craigslist for tanks, thinking about a 10g divided or maybe a sorority. Sigh.

Love your new boys, very nice.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 
Jessicatm137

They are gorgeous! I really like Veetor.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
underdebate

Thank you both! (Sometimes I really wish I had the willpower to leave the sick ones behind and get a pretty one.. but Kal's a bit of a peacock so he'll do for now.)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 
Jessicatm137

Veetor is pretty in my opinion. :)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #6 
underdebate

He is, ahaha, oh gosh, that totally came off as 'NONE OF MY FISH ARE PRETTY', didn't it. (Someone's been spending too much time on Aquabid, clearly!) I bought Veetor partially because he looked sick and partially because I'd been looking for colours like his for awhile-- poor thing's a bit exhausted right now though, doesn't seem to have much of an appetite, but I'm hoping that's just him adjusting.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 
Jessicatm137

I've been looking for one with his colors lately. Is he a marble? He sorta looks like one. I have to limit myself on how much time I spend on aquabid.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #8 
underdebate

I think he sort of is! At first I thought he had scale damage, but then I took a few pictures of him with the flash on and noticed the blue scale pattern that reflected back covered his whole body, not just the red or white bits.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #9 
Jessicatm137

He looks like he might gain more blue... I don't have a marble currently, But I been really hoping to get one.