Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
unitednations161

ammonia and algae

I have a 10 gallon tank that i did do a fish less cycle on, and it was done, added the betta and everything was fine for a little over a month then we started to get green algae on the sides of the tank, so i put a few plants in there, and bought a snail. I tested the water yesterday and got a .50 ppm of ammonia. Did my cycle get messed up because of adding the snail? Or the decaying plants? i cleaned them as best i could.

Also how should i clean and replace the filter media to keep the cycle going? I have the aqua clear 20 on the tank. With a sponge, carbon and biomax.

How should i lower the ammonia now without running anything else? nitrites are 0 and nitrates are a little high, but my tap has high to begin with, so thats had to keep low.
unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 
Mo

How did you cycle the tank? There is a slight possibility that the benificial bacteria got eliminated recently, have you used any anti bacterial medicines lately?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The nitryfing bacteria are self limiting-meaning that you will only have enough in the tank based on bioload-when you add more livestock it can take a day or so depending on the amount of added stock for the nitryfing bacteria to catch up....even with the added plants-for the plant to help with ammonia they have to be actively growing to start.....it is normal and expected to have ammonia spikes when adding more stock to the tank in other words.....

I would make a 50% water only change-monitor the levels and make needed water changes until the NB catches up

Filter media-rinse/swish the sponge in the bucket of old tank water to remove the large debris-this need to be done a couple of times a month and/or when the water flow is compromised.....Same with any media rings/bio balls etc....the NB can be suffocated with a build up of debris....

To add...it is normal and expected to have algae in a container of water that has both light and nutrients and some species of algae it can be a sign of a healthy system, it can help the tank look more natural by softening edges and places for the microorganism to live and feed that in turn the livestock can graze on/in...not all algae is bad, however, since this is a closed system even the good algae has to be control by manual removal along with your weekly water changes.

How high is the nitrate in the tank and in the source water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
unitednations161

My nitrates are about 40-80 ppm the source water is around 20-40 ppm which is to high isn't it. , I'm doing a water change right now. So now I'm not sure if the cycle stopped. Do i ever change the media from the filter like it says to? The biomedia is in its own bag so i couldn't just replace half of it. I hope the fish and snail are alright in that high of nitrate.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #5 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
How did you cycle the tank? There is a slight possibility that the benificial bacteria got eliminated recently, have you used any anti bacterial medicines lately?
fishless, nope. Everything has been the same beside the snail.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Filter media-you only need to change that when its falling apart

Carbon-its not really needed-more of a personal choice-but if you want to use it-it needs changed per package direction-it is a short lived product and can't be recharged....

Bio-balls ceramic ring type media-should never need replaced-just rinsed like the sponge to keep free of debris

You should visit your local city water supply web-site and see what Nitrate level is aloud in the water...thats pretty high IMO.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #7 
jasonh
Banned

i used to worry about algae but now i think it gives some parts of the tank character. i just dont like it on the glass.

on another note, recently i got some purigen media and i thought i had a rechargeable media that i'd never have to replace.

it stripped the water so much my fish's fins tore and became damaged in a couple of days. they're doing better now after i treated them with melafix for a couple of days, but they'll never be as pretty as they once were.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Filter media-you only need to change that when its falling apart

Carbon-its not really needed-more of a personal choice-but if you want to use it-it needs changed per package direction-it is a short lived product and can't be recharged....

Bio-balls ceramic ring type media-should never need replaced-just rinsed like the sponge to keep free of debris

You should visit your local city water supply web-site and see what Nitrate level is aloud in the water...thats pretty high IMO.....

Its well water, nitrates are going to be what they are.