Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 
BETTACHKALOVE

water conditioner question

I am using Prime by Seachem. I was in the store and they did't have small bottle so i just grabbed 250 ml bottle. Then i understand that i did mistake because instructions 1 capful (5ml) for each 200L (50 gall). And i need it for tomorrow.

I am using aged water which i put in 1 gall jugs. Can i use new Prime that i bought? And how much. Or should i don't risk and just return it.

Thank you:)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you can find something that holds 10 gallons, it'd be an easy 1ml per 10 gallons.
Otherwise you will have a heck of a time trying to figure it out.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I use Prime and also fill my tanks with one gallon jugs. If you know someone who is diabetic, I would grab a new (not used) syringe and use that to dose. It's 10 units per gallon of water which is equivalent to .1 mL. My mother is a math teacher who loves to do these kinds of funky calculations, so we worked it out one night. If you can't, I think you will have better luck getting a 10 gallon bin and dosing with prime in that. That's the downside to using a highly concentrated water conditioner. You could also switch to API's brand. It's less concentrated and also removes ammonia from the tap water, but I don't know about the heavy metals.

You can use the brand new Prime. I don't understand why you think it would be dangerous unless it's after the "best by" date. Unless your water has some real baddies in it, you don't need to age it either. Add Prime and done.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh, doesn't Bomba say this evens out to 1 drop per gallon?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I don't know. "Drop" isn't a standard unit of measurement. It's probably pretty close, tho.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

True, true. I figured the bottle had a dropper style lid, and it'd be a drop from that size of an opening. I don't know, I don't have prime :D
Old 04-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

No, the larger prime bottles just have a cap. So I have to pour the Prime into the cap and then siphon it out with this tiny syringe. I can't imagine trying to dose anything smaller than my 55 gal without it.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

I got an "eye dropper" from Walmart that was used to measure medicine for babies. It has measurements from 1ml to 5ml. I forgot the brand name and I can't seem to find it online, but you can search your pharmacy section of your local walmart and you can probably find it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 
gbose

I suggest 2 drops per gallon. I know 'drop' isn't scientific, but it's pretty clear to me!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I got myself a little 1ml syringe from the vet (also available at chemists). 0.1 ml per gallon is really easy to measure out that way. :)

It won't hurt the fish if you estimate and put in slightly too much. :) I did this for years until I figured out "Duh, you have sixty bajillion 1 ml syringes, just use one of those."
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote