Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #11 
sh29

thanks Mo but you seem iffy on the flakes and there are others who never really bring them up. thank you and happy Easter
sh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #12 
Mo

Your welcome, I'm glad to help. And thank you. Happy Easter to you too.

And yes, I do not like feeding a primary diet of flakes to bettas as they are known to not fully consume them, it is a challenge to control the amount you feed, there is no specified feeding amount, and bettas are known to let some flakes drop to the bottom and decay, meaning that the organic matter woul lead to an ammonia spike.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #13 
Twilight Storm

I am not an expert, but here is my opinion from personal experience.

With his other tank mates it will probably be difficult to tell, but make sure your Betta is going to the bathroom. My first Betta is prone to bloating and constipation. He bloated up like that when he was constipated. I would fast him for a day or two, if it's constipation you should notice his chest will go back to normal fairly quickly. (This won't hurt him but he will probably make you feel terrible since they are greedy little beggars at feeding time. :) )

I don't know if it's like this for everyone or not, but I found if I feed two kinds of commercial food brands per day, I personally had more problems with bloat then I do sticking with one kind of pellet.

I agree with Mo and would stay away from flakes, if for no other reason they do make a mess. (one brand even turns your water a nasty shade of red! - lesson learned! lol)

Good luck with your pretty little blue guy :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #14 
lilyth88

Remember, his stomach is about the size of his eye. Feed accordingly.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

I agree with everyone else. :) Stop the flakes, just feed a couple of pellets twice a day, fast him for a few days to encourage the bloating to go down. Most importantly, do lots of water changes and get that pleco out of there ASAP.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #16 
sh29

The bloating going down great today. My pleco has been in with him from the get go and no troubles. He is just a tiny albino pleco and my buddy breeds them. They stay very tiny and he hides most of the time. The Betta sticks to the apple snail like they are best friends lol,kinda cool. All is ok tonight and I'm doing a complete water change with gravel and tank cleanin tomorrow. A lot of poop in the bottom when I moved the plant today,tons of it. Filled the end of the filter and cartridges
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #17 
Mo

you should ideally rehome the albio Pleco as its most likely an albino Bristlenose.

In My Opinion Bristlenose Plecos (Ancistrus temminckii) aren't suitable for any tank under 20 gallons long term for a few reasons. They get to be 6 inches long which is very large, they have a very high bio load when fully grown and would have a major impact on all fish within the habitat due to ammonia, males might harras other fish during breeding season that enter his territory, and fully grown adults are known to eat smaller tank mates such as the ones the sizes of neons
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #18 
sh29

Month I go to Shawns a lot,the mom is only maybe 3 inches long and that's the biggest of all them. The normal plecos are big at pets unlimited. I'll keep a eye on his growth but as of now he keeps to him self and cleans the tank like I got him for and highly recomended by pets unlimited. If he gets 6 inches I'll give him to shawn
Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #19 
Mo

He shouldn't get to 6 inches in an aquarium of that size due to stunting, which is unnatural, and affects the fish greatly. I would advise that you find a better Home for the Pleco while he still isn't stunted, and greatly affected by the aquarium size
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #20 
sh29

Will it kill him? The pet store and Shawn also told me to put a slice of zuchinni or cucumber in for him and the betta would pick at it for they eat greens,plants in their home habbitat so I did. Shawns plecos are 2 yrs old in a 40 gallon tank Month and still are very tiny as well. I'll keep a eye on him. My daughter sorta picked it so it will be tough