Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 
sholee

Is this fin rot?

Sorry, i'm a novice when it comes to bettas and i noticed my betta's fin have frays and tears and was wondering if this was fin rot? or maybe tail biting?

Should i buy betta fix to help him cure his ripped fins? and anyway to stop him from biting his tail?

He's in a 75-78 degrees heated 2g tank.

sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
Mo

No. I would expect it to be more so likely tailbiting due to his heavy finnagge. There is no guaranteed treatment, usually adding more decorations, and plants, upping the tank size, minimizing the flow, and keeping the stress level to a minimum along with changing a few decorations weekly or monthly to keep him occupied

Do you have any plastic plants or sharp decorations? This could also be a cause of the frayed fins as sharp decorations and plastic plants are notorious for ripping fins. Of you do have any, then ideally removing them and replacing them with silk plants, and soft decorations will result in minimal rips in the fins

Last edited by Mo; 04-07-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 
NoahG

I'm going to agree with it looking like tail-biting, though it's hard to tell...is there damage to his anal fin as well? Closer to his ventral fins there?

If so that looks like it might be something else but, again, it's hard to really tell from the pictures. It looks sort of withered, for lack of a better word (and due to it making sense in a tired mind).
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #4 
Betta16

I see a spong bob pineaple it those pic and if its not tail bitting i would bet its rips on that, take it out of his tank and see if new rips show up.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 
Mo

I have never noticed any frayed fins with the type of decorations showed in the picture, I would highly doubt that the issue would be a result of the spongebob decoration
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 
Betta16

They are mass made and lots of time need sanding to smoth out some ruff spots, I have People bring them back to my job all the time (I mean tank decore) and most of the time its little defects that need a little sand paper to fix thats the only reson i said it could be that.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #7 
sholee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta16 View Post
I see a spong bob pineaple it those pic and if its not tail bitting i would bet its rips on that, take it out of his tank and see if new rips show up.
I sanded down all the sharp areas in the pineapple house when i got it and did the pantyhose test on it. So still not sure, I'm thinking about buying a 5g for him though.I'm going to try to take a better picture of him but its hard ahaha when hes flared and ready to attack
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

use a bigger tank and more decor, keep a bubbler and maybe some tank mates if its more than 5 gal. Change up decor and basically do whatever u can to keep him occupied. change up food on him too, and xpose him to a mirror a few times a week

good tank mates are a school of 5 or more glow lite tetras, but only if its a 10+ gal and has a bubbler filter and heater

good luck! and it does look like tail biting BEAUTIFUL fish tho :)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote