Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 
hmckin20

Help! Little fish lethargic, lying on side

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble with Atlas lately, I took him out of the 20g about two weeks ago only to watch his health deteriorate despite my efforts.
He's not clamped right now, but was earlier today. He doesn't do anything other than sit on the bottom of his temp tank, and chill. I usually have to move it to see if he's alive. There's no visible sign of illness- he's not bloated, I already tried epsom salts, there's no fungus that I can see, his color is fine. Just his activity level.
He did gnaw off his fins a while back, but they've been growing back.
He's lying on his side right now, maybe it's swim bladder? I know he's related to Florence and she has swim bladder issues all the time. I stopped feeding him about two days ago, but no luck yet. I also lowered his water level to about a centimeter.

Housing
What size is your tank? He's in a 1gal temp tank, lowered to about a centimeter of water.
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No, it's a temp tank.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin betta bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, two-three pellets each.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? On him, I've been doing 100% per day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, epsom salts, aq salts

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Nope. Still the same color and everything.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Incredibly lethargic. He wasn't an active guy to begin with, he came from a rough pet store and was already burnt by ammonia and wasn't in the greatest health. But that's been a few months back.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not with me. Once I put him in clean water he took to it pretty quickly.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Swim bladder disease causes loss of buoyancy, it's probably that if there doesn't seem to be any other symptoms.
How long have you been treating with the salts?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote