Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #11 
Shirleythebetta

Haha. I love teens like you. It lets me know common sense hasn't died yet.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Crazy Californians.
Also, I hate when teen girls wear shorts, and uggs (huge winter boots). It's either warm or cold out! DECIDE.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #13 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Crazy Californians.
Also, I hate when teen girls wear shorts, and uggs (huge winter boots). It's either warm or cold out! DECIDE.
that actually made me laugh out loud. How about sweatshirts with short shorts? I never understood that either.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

People treating you like dirt just because you are in a service job. Where you work doesn't make you a better person.

Besides, I'm in a service job at the moment to earn some money whilst at uni...studying law...the people who treat me like I'm an idiot for working in a shop or childcare or something generally don't even have degrees. >:( Nothing against people without degrees, but you should never look down on someone like that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

It's actually weird for me here. they look down on you for having a degree. People act like I am stuck up just because I can ennunciate (I am a country/hillbilly type). It's not my fault that I think I should talk good <---- as they would say haha. I don't treat anyone any differently but my speech has changed since the University work and I think people are feeling weird around me. I am the same person but I feel bad when I am in public and someone asks me what I am studying and we go off on this educated talk of sorts and my family is staring at us like "huh?" I am a firm believer that no one is better than anyone and that certainly applies to education. I know people with GED's that can out do me in Math. I just realize that to prove you are smart in this world you need a piece of paper and a higher education. You feel me "Ya'll"

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 04-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #16 
kfryman

Shirely that is so true! I have had to do the math at fast food places because the employees mess up on the amount they enter. I have done it when I was in 7th grade, told them it in like a second, now I am in 10th and get treated like I am irresponsible. If you think I am go look at people at my school gosh.

To me doing something to get money is okay, as long as ir is legal and isn't immoralizing something, like women. Some men are terrible, hope I am not like that in he future lol. I mow close family friends lawns to earn some cash and will do yard work at my friends house during summer. He may also get me a job, which will be awesome!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #17 
Shirleythebetta

kfryman, you will get treated like this until you are at least.... 22 sadly. If you stay smart and go to college you can go far with a good brain for Math.

People generalize an age group, life choices and even looks by the way the majority in said group acts. I am 25 so it was just recently I started being treated like an adult. Well, when I am not around my parents :s
My dad still doesn't give two squats what I am doing in school though. I think it's because of the fact he has no high-school diploma and makes a decent living. That living took him twenty years wheras most with a degree it only takes a little time to make the money he makes. I am still proud to have such an acheiver as a Father. He beat some nasty odds on education and came out on top. I'll stop rambling now. Point is with a Math mind like that I hope you decide to go to college.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
It's actually weird for me here. they look down on you for having a degree. People act like I am stuck up just because I can ennunciate (I am a country/hillbilly type). It's not my fault that I think I should talk good <---- as they would say haha. I don't treat anyone any differently but my speech has changed since the University work and I think people are feeling weird around me. I am the same person but I feel bad when I am in public and someone asks me what I am studying and we go off on this educated talk of sorts and my family is staring at us like "huh?" I am a firm believer that no one is better than anyone and that certainly applies to education. I know people with GED's that can out do me in Math. I just realize that to prove you are smart in this world you need a piece of paper and a higher education. You feel me "Ya'll"
I have this exact problem! I'm a Brit with a relatively BBC accent. I work in a Kids Club in an AFL club in Australia. The people who go there are all blue-collar workers with really bogan accents. They exercise the most crazy reverse snobbery on me and my sister because we speak well, therefore we must be the snobby ones.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

P.s. Kfryman, You are very correct and you are on your way to being a wonderful man when you are older with this kind of thinking. Just don't let women push you around because you are good hearted.
you also have to remember that most women think that if they apply for a job at manual labor they are being demoralized. For example, my husband makes fabric softner sheets and brillo pads. You have to be able to lift 70 pounds to work their and the women hate him because he won't lift things for them.
He did at first until he realized they were taking all the credit for this heavy lifting. He got tired of it and tells them no now and they use the "well we are women and you should do this because it's hard for us" He replies with "The fact that you are women means nothing to me and if you can't do it, quit" They also try to get his overtime hours too by using the "I'm a single mom with kids" thing. He responds to that with, "I didn't have them with you, why are they my problem?"

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 04-09-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #20 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I have this exact problem! I'm a Brit with a relatively BBC accent. I work in a Kids Club in an AFL club in Australia. The people who go there are all blue-collar workers with really bogan accents. They exercise the most crazy reverse snobbery on me and my sister because we speak well, therefore we must be the snobby ones.
I want to say it's funny they act this way but it's really kind of sad isn't it? I actually love British accents. Everything you say sounds smart. I hate to sound discriminating or anything so don't take that the wrong way. I do truly love the accent. wheras, people with a hillbilly accent sound really dumb to people at times. My sister went to college a while back in the city and they asked her if she was from Kentucky (Kentuckians usually have a stronger hillbilly accent)
But back on the subject. Everyone around my area sound like illiterate hicks. I do laugh at myself sometimes. I am a hillbilly at heart and it comes out really bad when I am mad. When I am angry you get this, "Ya'll bettur get oiut of ma fayce!" I am even known to say "yantoo?" when I am mad, translation------> "do you want to?" Hahaha. seriously, never in a million years did I think that people would look differently at me when I decided to get a higher education. I think my mom even thought I was a bit of a snob for a minute because I told her I wouldn't go to community college. I told her it was University or nothing because community college is trade school in my opinion. I want a degree that will be respected by mostly all employers and I know some who view community college differently. Maybe that makes me a snob? I don't know.
I was shocked when I learned how differently people looked at me for choosing a Christian school. You could probably get the reasons without me listing them I bet.... Some good but some bad opinions.