Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

Angry Someone claiming to be an "expert"...

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to talk about this but I figured it's general talk for betta fish and what not.

I have an Instagram account and follow a few people who have beautiful betta fish on there. Well, I came across a profile of someone claiming to a betta fish expert of 5+ years or something like that and I've been having to correct them as well as a few other people on numerous occassions. This person didn't understand what a stressed out betta fish looks like (stress stripes and such). They have also been posting pictures of their divided tank with two male bettas on each side of the divider and saying things along the line of "WOW I'VE NEVER SEEN THEM BE THIS ACTIVE BEFORE!!". One of the pictures clearly shows one of the males flaring at the other one and this person claims this to be "good exercise" for betta fish to see each other and flare at one another. He also claims that it's untrue that betta fish can die due to stress.

I honestly have to disagree with this so called "exercise" idea. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are mixed feelings about this. But I guess what I'm asking is...isn't having two aggressive male bettas seperated by a divider that they can still see each other through a bit of a problem? Wouldn't one or both of them stress out?

I'm really starting to question this "5+ year betta fish expert". Then again. It's the internet. Anyone can claim anything.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by EdgyWolf; 05-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That person doesn't seem very well informed... 5 years of experience does not mean 5 years of good experience. I use divided tanks for the majority of my males and typically, they flare and show off a lot for the first couple of weeks but after that they understand that they are separated and they still interact but not violently.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello EdgyWolf and welcome to the forum happy to have you join us. That so called expert doesnt realize that a Betta who is over stressed would be vulnerable to illness that could lead to death, now that is disturbing. I would also disagree with the methods of his exercise. From what I understand around 5 mins a day of letting your Betta flare at his reflection using those exercise mirror balls is fine but no more than that. So the same would go with letting them see another Betta to flare at right ?

I am over protective of my Betta I will only let him see his reflection about once a week for around 5 mins and even then I worry he is getting to stressed out...lol He also will flare and gets upset if he sees the blue lid on one of his food jars so I have to be careful and not sit it close to the tank when I fed him. Its a good topic I would like to hear what others think too. Matt I know your a great Betta keeper you know what to look out for since you have your guys together like that so I trust your guys are fine being in a divided tank.

I hope you enjoy your time here and again welcome !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 
EdgyWolf

Thanks for the welcome Perseusmom!! I appreciate it.

MattsBettas, I figured that there are some exceptions. Some bettas are calmer than others. Every fish is different. Thanks for the input! :)

I commented on their pictures stating that I disagree with this sort of "exercise" they're doing. They proceeded to tell me that I'm arguing with an expert of the topic and that I have no idea what I'm talking about. A few minutes later he posts a picture and calls me out saying that his betta fish are taking a break from flaring at each other in a rather snobby and rude fashion. In a previous comment I did state that there's always an exception to the rules but that clearly went over his head. What a rude person. No offsense to them but they aren't acting very expert-like if they're attempting to rub the proof in my face like that.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #5 
Agent13
Reference Team

This is common with exotic pet keeping. I'm no expert at bettas but I'm certainly learning because I love taking suggestios from those who have years doing this and I'm a quick study. I am on many boards for dragon keeping and that I am an expert at and OMG even some world famous breeders like BloodBank Dragons needs a little schooling from me(I've kept it civil though). It's frustrating when people are freely giving out "expert" advice when they didn't do the hard research and experience that it takes to be one!
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #6 
Flapmon

I'm pretty sure that person has an account on here. <<
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #7 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
That person doesn't seem very well informed... 5 years of experience does not mean 5 years of good experience. I use divided tanks for the majority of my males and typically, they flare and show off a lot for the first couple of weeks but after that they understand that they are separated and they still interact but not violently.
I agree 100% with Matt.....all my bettas (all 89 of them) can see at least one other male and they are not "stressed" by it....quite the opposite, it seems. At first, yes, they flare like crazy (well, most do....some really don't seem to care)....but after a while, they seem to get used to the other males nearby and (as Matt said) "understand" that they are separated and are quite safe. Keep in mind that these fish truly are "fighters".....they seem to be stimulated by the interaction rather than stressed by it.....it's part of what they are.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
I'm pretty sure that person has an account on here. <<
or atleast had one here until they joined the list of fallen/banned (or just couldnt stand being corrected again.)
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #9 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
or atleast had one here until they joined the list of fallen/banned (or just couldnt stand being corrected again.)
Probably!
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
Probably!
such overconfident "experts" dont last long here. they must really hate the truth about fish care.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote