Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #31 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
She forgot about them sitting in their release tanks in the bags for like.... over an hour. She went around and shook the bags vigorously.
I'da grabbed her and shaken HER vigorously.. but that's just me.

Bomba, great list! It pretty much sums up and addresses the various misconceptions I've come across so far.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #32 
Shirleythebetta

I thought about it but..... jail is not worth it. I just couldn't believe that. She even said it shakily like she was trying to sound like she knew what she was talking about. It's funny when stupid people try to sound smart.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #33 
ravenwinds

What a wonderful and eloquently stated list of fish myths. Great work Bomba!
Mr V: I don't see any hate mail in your future on this one....we all seem to be in agreement with you!

I am sure that many of us have fallen for at least one of these myths at one time when we first started in the fish hobby...the important difference is we cared enough to investigate our aquatic responsibilities to find out how to best care for them.
When our cories spawned and we got 8 babies, my mom told me that she never knew they would do that in a home aquarium, she didn't even know they were schoolers...she had only ever kept one in a tank before...(got 2 w/ this story: bottom feeders aren't really fish and stocking the tank issues!)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #34 
MadameDesu

I heard another one from my little brother yesterday. He told me that you need to be super careful with the males because they'll run into the side of the tank to get their relflection, but they do it too hard and end up killing themselves.
I just looked at him and was like "... No."
*sigh* fish myths.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

When I had my first ever betta, Mister, the pet store (Ralph's Pet Store, later the man retired after his dog (Ralph) passed away) had him with neon tetras, in a cycled tank I had done a little research, and everything said "SOLITARY" and "NO OTHER FISH - THEY'LL KILL THEM!!!" but there was proof right then and there they were wrong He told me I'd have to be careful and get a tank to have fish with bettas, but it wasn't impossible =D He told me a 1 gallon would be okay for a starter, and to keep his water above room temperature :)

The other store told me to stick him in a cup and he'd be fine. x.x Later I got a tank and added 6 danios with Finicky =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #36 
cp6445

This is great! Thanks for sharing!
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #37 
ravenwinds

Whoa...a pet store that knows about fish...sucks that he retired...we need more like him.
You were lucky Sena to have come across such an intelligent and caring pet store owner.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #38 
Sena Hansler

I know xD he also trained dogs, worked on a farm, did grooming and only carried fish... no hamsters, guineas, dogs or cats. I think he said his fish were bred by his son or something? they were some good quality VTs I miss him D:
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #39 
ravenwinds

I wish we had a small business pet shop around here. All we have is Walmart, Petco, and petsmart...it's why I do so much online shopping. If I had a LPS, I would never buy anything but what is usually insanely expensive in small businesses...like ferret litter and dog food.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

hmmm here is one thing I've heard about bettas... Shipped bettas (from Thailand and such) are more fragile? And I dunno if it's true so I'll say nothing on that matter :p