Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
BetterBetta

Anybody else here saltwater?(:

A month and a half back I started a nano saltwater tank after 5+ months of researching. Lucky for me, our 70 gallon tank used to be saltwater so I had most of the equipment! What I had in mind was not really fish, but I'm really, really interested in soft corals that do fine in low-moderate lighting, such as some zoanthids and mushrooms. Since I wanted to keep corals instead of fish, I had this image of creating an explosion of colors in a small amount of space, even though the smaller the tank, the harder it is to care for. Well, I've had a lot of free time lately, and I know I could keep all the parameters in check, along with salinity.

My setup is 3.5 gallon (told you, really nano, but I got this!) with 3 lbs of LR and 2 lbs of base rock. I have 3 Red Leg Cortez hermits and 3 Nassarius snails. As I said, I wouldn't be able to keep any fish in this small, at least I think not, so I'm doing coral/inverts only. On my LR I found 3 hidden cup corals, a handful of featherdusters, and some tunicates. I am waiting for my tank to be at least 3 months old before I stick any coral in there, just to be safe. Therefor, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect lighting! Oh and fun fact, I'm also getting a 30g in the summer for my birthday! And hopefully I'm going to set up a 10 gallon sump under that.
As for lighting, this is where I have a few questions. I was thinking of getting the Tom Deco 13W, since many people have had good experience growing Mushrooms and zoas, even my LFS.
Soo yep! Saltwater thread woop woop!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
BetterBetta

So I take it everyone here is a freshie? xD Bump
Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #3 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Your colors would look pretty crappy with that light. Maybe:
FREE SHIP 10W LED RGB COLOR SPOTLIGHT Flood Light Garden Lamp 85-265V Waterproof | eBay

3W E27/ GU10 MR16 16 Color Changing RGB LED Light Bulb Lamp 85~265V + IR Remote | eBay
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I actually really did want a saltwater tank up until recently. I was desperate for a pair of clowns, a six-line wrasse and a purple firefish, but then I went to the Great Barrier Reef. I like freshwater tanks because I think the tanks often look prettier than the real environments, but when I saw how gorgeous the reef was I knew any tank I created would be disappointing in comparison.

Please post photos, though! I am still fascinated by saltwater, especially nanos!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #5 
Amphibianite

I just got a 35 gallon full set up tank for Free on tuesday.
I mean FULL Set up, even some fish.
I am currently trying to stock it though.
Currently has 1 domino damsel (trying to get rid of it too aggressive for my taste)
2 yellowtail blue damsels (luckily they are peaceful), and 1 hermit crab. I bought and added 1 turbo snail and 1 turban snail.

Hoping to get some clown gobies, and a firefish.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #6 
BetterBetta

will those support coral life? The second one is only 3W, can mushrooms tolerate that? Thats awesome if they do, are you saying I buy it with the other light, or these alone? :D

Quote:
Please post photos, though! I am still fascinated by saltwater, especially nanos!
Hahah its just live rock with some snails and hermits, but I'll find my camera if you still wanna see it. Not much of a sight, but if you wanna see it you can have it:D

Quote:
Hoping to get some clown gobies, and a firefish.
And I find that clown gobies have adorable personalities! They watch you as much as you watch them... hah! And watch out though if you get a firefish, they're jumpers, so you just oughtta keep an eye on them during WC and such(:

Last edited by BetterBetta; 04-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #7 
betta lover1507

my dad moved from 75 to a 20(or what it a 30? between the two), he has a mystery wrasse, picasso clownfish, hippo tang, and a banana wrasse. he is trying to re-home the hippo soon, and the picasso pair (the male) passed away, so where thinking about just getting another normal clownfish.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #8 
BetterBetta

I loove picaso's:D But I also love clarkii's. They have the cutest lump on their forhead and a lovely yellow color :P My sister thinks they're awkward, so I might just get an occellaris when I get my 30 g. I'm planning on having a pair, but anemone's are really finnicky, so we'll see what they'll host:P Apparently they'll host heaters, powerheads, xenia, all kinds of things... they are weird fish o.o
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #9 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta View Post
will those support coral life? The second one is only 3W, can mushrooms tolerate that? Thats awesome if they do, are you saying I buy it with the other light, or these alone? :D

(:
Buy these alone. And the one that is 3w, you'd need to buy 3 of them.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Salt water fish are beautiful.
The ones at my LFS seem kinda weird, they swim sideways and backwards and on an angle. Is that normal? :s they say all their fish are captive bred.
I wouldn't get salt water fish unless I was positive they were captive bred. So many reefs are poisoned and killed in an attempt to catch the beautiful fish. I agree with Bomba, many salt water set ups are just, lacking.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote