Green Chomis – x4 – 3’’

Green clown goby – 1.5’ -

Strawberry dottyback(maybe) – 3’’

Hi-fin re-banded goby – 2’’

Firefish goby – 3’’

Yellowbluedamsel X2 – 3’'
Total - 27.5’’

As for the inverts.
I have 1 hermit crab, 1 turbo and 1 turban.
I am looking at getting a few more hermits and or an emerald crab. I am checking the aggression and safety level on all of them.
Havent decided is any more snails will be safe or wise for the amount in the tank.

I would love coral, but can't afford them, or the proper lights for them at this point.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #12 
BetterBetta

Amphibianite--those sound like good stocking plans to me! And IMO the more cleanup crew the merrier, but snails do poop a lot so that might hold you back with your stocking plans. Emerald Crabs are awesome--they eat nuisance algae such as bubble algae, and in some cases, hair algae; both of which most Clean up Crews (CUC) ignore. I think the Emerald would be a really nice investment in case either of those pop up.

Coral is expensive, but I know thats the route I'm heading for. Still on the hunt for the perfect lights, as I don't want to spend more than 60$ on them. I'm only 13 and I'm paying for all of it! xD Countless hours on the comp. have been spent...
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 
NoahG

I would love to one day venture into saltwater as well -- I've actually toyed with the idea of my 30-gallon cube eventually going saltwater. Waiting until I have more money and stability in my life first though.

I'm dabbling in the research right now, but not hitting it real hard since this is years off. I still look at the saltwater section of stores when I'm there though, haha. Currently there are two fish that I would like to ultimately have in a marine tank: Lawnmower Blenny, and a Lionfish (can't go more specific yet on the latter). Of course not together. I'll probably build the tank around them though when I'm figuring out what I want to do.

And, of course, shrimp if at all possible. Shrimp entertain me more than they probably should, haha.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #14 
BetterBetta

Lawnmower blennies are the bomb! They have, handsdown, the best personality out there. My brother gives me the weirdest looks when I call them funny, but they are! Haha he doesn't understand...

And I have been thinking about this for a looong time, and since I had over half the equipment all I had to buy were live rock, livestock (CUC), and a hydrometer. I am very fortunate for having everything I needed on hand! However, its gonna be very tough for vacations with coral. Because of that, I may wait until after summer to start the coral tank. But then again, my dads friend who breeds clowns may be able to watch my tank. He has a lot of experience.

Shrimp are adorable! Trust me, anything can entertain me. A friggin snail can entertain me, so shrimp are soo cute to me! Even though everybody says saltwater is a lot harder, it is definitely not much difference then freshwater-- start out with fish only with live rock tank, and when you're more experienced venture into corals! Same with FW-Start with fish only, then venture into live plants!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #15 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Here is my current fish stocking idea

Green Chomis x4 3

Green clown goby 1.5 -

Strawberry dottyback(maybe) 3

Hi-fin re-banded goby 2

Firefish goby 3

Yellowbluedamsel X2 3'
Total - 27.5

As for the inverts.
I have 1 hermit crab, 1 turbo and 1 turban.
I am looking at getting a few more hermits and or an emerald crab. I am checking the aggression and safety level on all of them.
Havent decided is any more snails will be safe or wise for the amount in the tank.

I would love coral, but can't afford them, or the proper lights for them at this point.
The Damsle and Chromis will kill each other. They are very mean lil suckers. And in that community of our small tank, the saying goes, " There can be only One"
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #16 
NoahG

Haha, I saw a Lawnmower Blenny at Petco and was watching him for the longest time, and he wasn't even doing much. I thought he was so cool though! I decided right then and there that, no matter what, one day I would find a way to have one, hence building a tank up around the blenny. What I've read of them though only confirms that I want one.

I know the Lionfish are a lot more complicated, in a way, than other fish -- at least in the sense that they are legitimately dangerous -- but they're just so cool that I figured, if I'm going to venture into it anyways, I want to have one. Believe me though, proper caution will be used.

Yea, having the equipment beforehand is a major bonus. I, literally, only have a tank at the moment which, if at all possible, might turn into a sorority first. Aside from that though: nada. If I were you I'd definitely see if he could watch the tank during vacations -- a logical/rational argument is that way you have more time to focus on it when you are home compared to when you go back to school.

I likely have AD(H)D, so, yea, I'm in the same boat...I used to think snails were boring though (though only in aquariums, go figure) until I saw how fast they could actually move when they got going. Now? I'm contemplating getting Sharkfin a mystery snail tankmate, if not soon then eventually, haha.

It seems to me that saltwater's just like anything else: just do the research ahead of time, have some idea going into it, don't cut corners where you really shouldn't, and have some patience when doing things and you'll do a lot better. Sure, there's more involved, but I think the fact that it's a little more work and a bit more foreign to people accounts for a lot of why it seems so daunting. But, as we all know, and as I can more than attest to working at PetSmart, people don't do their homework beforehand in a lot of things they do when it comes to pets and probably especially aquariums.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #17 
Amphibianite

Reefing - Really? From all the research I have done says both the yellow tail blue Damsel, and the green chromis are very peacefull with other fish, and great community. I know most damsels are mean S.O.B.s. Yet everything I have found says that the YTBDs are peaceful and make good community fish. Same the the green/blue chromis.
If you have personal experience with this, and will gladly differ to you, as I am new to this part of the hobby.

So if that is the case maybe I will change it to add two new yellowtail blues in instead.

I personally am not doing anything besides some inverts till I get rid of the Domino Damsel that came with this tank. (the YTBDs came with it as well)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #18 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Reefing - Really? From all the research I have done says both the yellow tail blue Damsel, and the green chromis are very peacefull with other fish, and great community. I know most damsels are mean S.O.B.s. Yet everything I have found says that the YTBDs are peaceful and make good community fish. Same the the green/blue chromis.
If you have personal experience with this, and will gladly differ to you, as I am new to this part of the hobby.

So if that is the case maybe I will change it to add two new yellowtail blues in instead.

I personally am not doing anything besides some inverts till I get rid of the Domino Damsel that came with this tank. (the YTBDs came with it as well)
All that research is wrong. Gets alot of people into trouble when it comes to those fish. Presonally, yes. I have tried that schooling fish a few times. Yellow Tail Damsels, and then Chromis, everytime, miserable failures, all ending in deaths, all but one. They will school together....In a 1000g tank, or the ocean, as that is where they are basing their info.
But, I'm just one person, with one opinion.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #19 
Amphibianite

Hey I rather be safe than sorry. SO thank you for your help Reefing. I really do appreciate someone who has experience in a subject giving me advice.
Because I have the YTBDs already I will just pick up a few more of those.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #20 
jeffegg2

Angry

I had a salt tank at one time. The fish are beautiful, but there are no salt water fish that will breed in captivity. They are harvested from the worlds reefs. Usually they are caught by putting cyanide in the water and putting all the fish to sleep. The ones that don't die right away are put into bags for shipment. You may notice a lot of salt water fish die within the first few weeks, it is due to the poison they ingested.

I no longer support this by not buying salt water fish.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote