Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
I had a salt tank at one time. The fish are beautiful, but there are no salt water fish that will breed in captivity. They are harvested from the worlds reefs. Usually they are caught by putting cyanide in the water and putting all the fish to sleep. The ones that don't die right away are put into bags for shipment. You may notice a lot of salt water fish die within the first few weeks, it is due to the poison they ingested.

I no longer support this by not buying salt water fish.
Not true. Many saltwater fish breed in captivity. You can search you tube and find tons of clownfish with eggs in tanks. Fish like clownfish, batfish, blennies, seahorses can all be bred in captivity. Even corals and sponges are now raised in captivity. You just gotta know who you're buying from ;)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #22 
Bombalurina

+1. There are two saltwater shops in my city that both get the majority of their stock from breeders, not the wild.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #23 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Agreed, a lot of the saltwater fish available are no longer wild species.

Not all of them but a majority are tank / farm raised.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #24 
Pewmew

I got 1 nano and 1 10gallon both are over 3 years old
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #25 
onefish2fish

where are all the pictures?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #26 
Reefing Madness
Banned

^+1^

Name:  pics2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  8.7 KB
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #27 
BetterBetta

Well currently a bunch of rock is in my tank. Not all that exciting to see, honestly xD I am still in the process of perfecting everything, too:P
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #28 
BetterBetta

UPDATE: As I went to go take pics, I looked upon my LR and saw... aiptasia. It was nicely covering a portion of it towards the back of the tankDX I ended up chucking the rock, leaving me with basically, this rubble. On another note, I tried snapping pics of my Hidden Cup Coral, but since he's non-photosynthetic (hitch hiker) he's clear.. and small.. and in the shadows! I had noticed that when I first got the rock he would close up in the light, so I repositioned the rocks. I target feed him BBS once a week, just to promote some growth:D

As you tell from my photos, my light setup is currently just a reptile bulb over it. It obviously requires a screw in type bulb, so I can't find a correct LED Bulb for corals even. I was looking at 13W bulbs too. ._____. Mrah.
Attached Images

BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #29 
Foisair

Woohoo! I'm so glad someone posted about saltwater tanks. I'm even more excited that people have NANO salt tanks. Today I just stumbled on info about keeping seahorses. At first I was really discouraged as most breeds require require HUGE tanks and set up. I don't have the space or the money for huge tanks. But then I found some info on the Dwarf Seahorse which actually NEED smaller tanks (1 gallon: 2-3 to start, max 12 adults; 2.5 gallon: 4-6 to start, max 12 adults; 5 gallon: 8-12 to start, max 20 adults; 10 gallon: no fewer than 20 adults). I am aware that marine tanks are more expensive and I know the seahorses aren't cheap ($10.50 for 1 Dwarf), but if I were to look into dwarf seahorses more, how would I go about setting up a small marine tank? I'm thinking 5 gallon as they need their tank cycled.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #30 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Dwarf Seahorse
Light flow for Sea Horses, so your flow would not be higher than 10x your water wolume.
Then, of course everythings else you need for a Marine set-up:
Dry Rock, there are a few hitchhickers on Live Rock that people want to stay away from, so they opt for using Dry Rock, or Dead Rock. Macro Rock is a good place to start looking for that. Either way oyu go you will need a minimum of 1lb per gallon.Replacement filter media like filter floss and activated carbon (if you get a filter) Which is really not necessary.Multiple Powerheads (2 or 3) 10x your water volume for just a Fish Only With Live Rock, and at least 20x your water volume for a Reef Tank. So lets say your going reef, and you have a 100g tank, you would need flow in that tank at minimum of 2000gph, or 2 1000gph powerheads.Protein Skimmer, rated at 2 times your water volumeSaltwater Test Kits. Reef Test Kit. Tets for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, Phosphates, Calcium, ALK and Magnesium.Saltwater fish food. Mysis Shrimp, Squid, Cyclopease, Algae Sheets, Romaine . Flake food is not really a good food to feed your marine fish.Aquarium vacuum. This one is iffy. Most don't use one, if you have enough flow in the tank you won’t need oneRubber kitchen glovesFish netTwo, clean, never used before, 5-gallon bucketsAquarium thermometer, digital being the best.Brush with plastic bristles (old tooth brush) - needed for cleaning the live rock if you don't get Fully Cured Live Rock.Power Strip, possibly GFCI outlets by the tank.Optional but definitely recommend getting a Reverse Osmosis or RO/Deionization filter for the make-up water, and a barrel for storing the water.Possibly a Quarantine Tank for your new fish. They sit in here for a few weeks to kill off parasites and bacteria, to keep it from getting in your main tankHeater rated for your size tank.Saltwater Mix. Marine Salt. Instant Ocean is the cheap Salt that beginners and Advanced use alike.Saltwater Hydrometer or even better a Refractometer, which is more accurate. There is also a Digital Meter that is way advanced if you have the cash.Aquarium filter (not absolutely necessary if running with adequate amounts of live rock, but nice to have if you need to use a mechanical filter or activated carbon, or GFO and such)Aquarium substrate such as live sand or crushed cora. Some go bare Bottom, others choose the 2-3" bottom, others, more advanced will try the Deep Sand Bed, which is over 6" deep.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote