Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 
MarinePsycho

Suitable for a Betta?

[IMG]http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...35t300x300.jpg[/IMG]

Just wanted to know if this tank looks suitable for any fish besides a betta, and if it seems to small.

Don't plan on buying but I am interested in knowing if its suitable for any fish besides a betta, as I saw someone say they kept a "mini" 3 in. blood parrot cichlid in there.

Last edited by MarinePsycho; 04-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 
flyingxchanges

I'm not sure about other fish, but 1 gallon is even a bit small for a betta
flyingxchanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 
MarinePsycho

Really? what would you recommend?
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #4 
flyingxchanges

Most people say at least 2.5 gallons. While you *could* keep a betta in a 1 gallon it is much better for them to live in a bigger tank. They are happier, and have more room to swim. Plus, less water changes for you.
flyingxchanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No other fish.
You could do a betta, 1 gallon is the bare minimum for a betta on this forum. Of course, get as big of a tank as you can, not as small ;)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #6 
Mo

IMO I wouldn't go any less than 2.5 gallons
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

The same brand as a totally identical model in 2.5gals and 5gals.. they have a bunch of other sizes too.. I have the 2.5's.. about 5 of them lol. They are wonderful tanks!
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

I picked up one of those tanks as an emergency tank (for bettas) and it is kind of small. It's a good tank but the way the lid is constructed you can't use a heater. (At least the heaters I like.) There are two holes for feeding on either side of the lid and the plug doesn't fit through. The only indent in the hood is there to allow the filter chord to leave the tank. They are super easy to clean though. (depending on what you use on the bottom of your tank.) The light in it is a 7 watt chandelier bulb and the light shield screws onto the hood, so it is difficult to change the bulb. Both the Aqueon 1 and the Aqueon 2.5 have the same filters, and a Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge fits nicely on the intake tubes so the Bettas don't get sucked in.

If you want a small 2.5 tank for a Betta the Aqueon 2.5 is a nice tank, it is also really easy to clean and runs the same filter. The hood in the 2.5 takes standard incandescent bulbs for aquarium hoods. They run about $30 - $40.

I looked up the blood parrots, and the wiki on them says they can grow up to 8 inches! The minimum size tank for one is probably going to be 15+ gallons.

I would go to the chichlid forum of tropicalfishkeeping.com (this forum) and find out what you can.
I would really get the poor chichlid out of the 1 gallon ASAP.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That blood parrot was either stunted or a baby.
A single blood parrot requires 55 gallons.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Poor blood parrot! I'm not a fan of the fish, but keeping one in a gallon tank is barbaric.

For the money you'd spend on that tank, you could probably get something bigger.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote