Originally Posted by xjenuhfur
The tank didn't get an abnormal amount of light, the light was off all break, but I will let her know the photoperiod is too long. There was a moss ball in there, and I've heard that they basically stop most algae, which is why we were confused as to why it grew?
Since moss balls are technically algae they'll outcompete algae for nutrients. I suggest telling your roommate to check her water parameters, may be too much of nitrates. Brown algae will usually grow in lower light situations, so it's not the matter of too much light, increasing the amount of light won't help either it'll just create black or green algae which is harder to clean off. . .
One way she could handle it is that if she increased the photoperiod and
add in live plants, the plants will absorb the excess nutrients and starve off the algae.
Or another is to get an algae depending her tank size. . . .
Really algae isn't bad or anything it's a sign that the tank is healthy in tanks with live plants. . . It just looks bad.