Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 
TheJadeBetta

Question How big does Merc need to be before Shrimp/Snail tank mates?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98252

Merc is my little Petco "baby" Betta. I am curious to know what size he should be before getting him some tank mates of snails or shrimp. I was just supposed to be a QT tank, but he loves it to much...And I do to... haha

Here is his set up:

5 gallon Bare Bottom Tank
10i Internal Tetra Filter
Java Fern, Duckweed, and Fake Silk Plants (Eventually, all live plants.)
Small Bridge Decoration

I am thinking either:

Amano Shrimp
OR
Nerite Snails

Any recommendations?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 
Micho

Amano shrimps are hardier, but I see you have no substrate, that makes it way harder for shrimp to survive in your tank. Also if you want shrimps in your tank, I suggest more live plants like moss, so they can sift through them or hide in them. More hiding spots, mugs and cups will act like caves. But in the end, if your Betta has a bad temperament he'll just kill the shrimps on sight. I recommend starting with Ghost (Feeder) shrimps, they're generally cheaper and if they die, oh well.

Snails are easier for Bettas to be friends with. They really don't need anything. If you have no algae in your tank, you'll have to supplement the snail with blanched vegetables or algae wafers.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Amano shrimps are hardier, but I see you have no substrate, that makes it way harder for shrimp to survive in your tank. Also if you want shrimps in your tank, I suggest more live plants like moss, so they can sift through them or hide in them. More hiding spots, mugs and cups will act like caves. But in the end, if your Betta has a bad temperament he'll just kill the shrimps on sight. I recommend starting with Ghost (Feeder) shrimps, they're generally cheaper and if they die, oh well.

Snails are easier for Bettas to be friends with. They really don't need anything. If you have no algae in your tank, you'll have to supplement the snail with blanched vegetables or algae wafers.
I stated that I am going to get more plants. I am looking for floating plants.

I don't like Ghost Shrimp. They are evil! I have 2 bettas attacked by Ghost Shrimp. I don't want to risk it with Merc. I have Amanos. I just love them to death!

Right now. I am working on getting the Epsom Salt out of the tank.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

With a snail, be sure to keep the water pristine, he's still a baby and you wouldn't want the snail stunting his growth with ammonia. A single nerite wouldn't be a problem.
Amano shrimp are pretty peaceful, I'm pretty sure they stick to a vegetarian diet, more than other shrimp. They also have, like no claws, so I think it's safe for your little guy to have some Amano friends :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 
kfryman

Remeber that amano shrimp like plants they can sit on, so you need more live plants in the actually water column, you said you were getting more floaters but that won't help the shrimp, just blocks some light. Also you would need substrate for the shrimp as a bare bottom would be bizarre.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I can take care of him until he gets bigger, if you want.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #7 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
With a snail, be sure to keep the water pristine, he's still a baby and you wouldn't want the snail stunting his growth with ammonia. A single nerite wouldn't be a problem.
Amano shrimp are pretty peaceful, I'm pretty sure they stick to a vegetarian diet, more than other shrimp. They also have, like no claws, so I think it's safe for your little guy to have some Amano friends :)
Thanks! I may go with Amano Shrimps. May wait a little bit and let him get a little bit bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Remeber that amano shrimp like plants they can sit on, so you need more live plants in the actually water column, you said you were getting more floaters but that won't help the shrimp, just blocks some light. Also you would need substrate for the shrimp as a bare bottom would be bizarre.
Okay. I never noticed I guess. My Amanos prefer the pieces of driftwood in my tanks. I suppose I can leave my fake silk plants in the tank. They have hair algae on them. I believe I read somewhere they love hair algae. Why would it be bizarre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
I can take care of him until he gets bigger, if you want.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #8 
Luimeril

my Chappy Belle lived with red cherry shrimp her first two months with me(she was 1 month old when i got her).... in the end.... some died off, and she ate teh last one. :I it was bigger than her!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
kfryman

I am not sure, I know most shrimp prefer a sand substrate to sift through, but I am not completely sure if they are okay in a bare bottom. I would just add like a fine layer of gravel or sand for them. Maybe just like .5 inches of gravel or sand.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I am not sure, I know most shrimp prefer a sand substrate to sift through, but I am not completely sure if they are okay in a bare bottom. I would just add like a fine layer of gravel or sand for them. Maybe just like .5 inches of gravel or sand.
I have used gravel and sand for Amanos. Not at the same time, though. Both worked well. Now, I am thinking of doing an experiment of a bare bottom tank with Amanos.....Hmmmm?