Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
wherewolf

Possible case of advanced fin rot?

I have a male crowntail that is about a year and a half old. He's been fine for most of the time I've had him but a month or so ago, he started having problems.

He developed what looked like a large tumor sort of lump right at the base of his dorsal fin. It was completely black, and showed up out of nowhere. It seemed to recede after every-other-day water changes with the addition of an antifungal, antiprotozoan and antibacterial additive (I can't recall the name but it turns the water deep blue and comes in a container shaped like a fish). After a few weeks it came back full-force, burst, and the inside was white but solid... It just looked awful.

This has progressed to the point where his dorsal fin is now missing a vertical piece right in the middle, and the tumor/blister/whatever it is is still there, and I'm concerned that it's going to start eating away at his body.

In addition, about a week and a half ago, the ends of his tail fin began to recede and continue to, despite my treatments (described in the form below).

While doing his water change today, I noticed that he seems to be bloated, or his stomach is distended. He's still acting fairly normally, eating well, and flaring as usual.

I don't know if these conditions are connected or not, and nobody around here can figure out what's wrong with him. I'm hoping there's someone out here who can help me before I lose him =/ Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

(I'm working on getting pictures as references but my camera is out of commission at the moment so I'm trying to use my phone... not working so well, but we'll see how it goes!)

Housing
What size is your tank?
One gallon.

What temperature is your tank?
78 degrees

Does your tank have a filter?
Yes, standard carbon filter.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Is your tank heated?
It stays in the warmest corner of the house with no drafts, so the temp stays 78.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
I feed him generic pellets as well as brine shrimp and bloodworms occasionally.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Two or three pellets a day, bloodworms or shrimp instead of pellets once a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Partial every three days, 100% once a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
about 25% during partials, 100% once a week

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Aquarium salt and water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't yet =/

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Missing a vertical section of his dorsal fin, open white blister/sore at the base of the missing section, tail fin has receded, belly is slightly distended.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
It hasn't changed much.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A month ago, give or take a few days

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I was treating him with an antifungal/antibacterial/antiprotozoan water treatment as directed but I ran out, and it didn't appear to help (I was treating him for two weeks or so)
Currently continuing to do water changes and add salt and water conditioner during every change

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Up until this problem, he's been healthy and active, with no problems

How old is your fish (approximately)?
About a year and a half or so
wherewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

It a tank that size. You don't need to worry about the partial changes. You just need to do 100% water changes at least 2x to 3x a week. And he needs to be fasted 1x a week. I would not feed him for a couple of days to see if the bloating clears up, if not feed Daphnia. Fast him, then Feed the Daphnia, then fast him again. It works for me. :) You also might want to get a Fungus Eliminator of some sort.
Good luck.

Can't wait for pictures. :D

By the way... Testing the water in a tank this size isn't really going to help. The container is to small. IMO.

Another thing. Does he look like a pineconed at all? Meaning is his scales raised, when you look above him?

Is the sore a bit cottony looking?

Last edited by TheJadeBetta; 04-08-2012 at 08:02 PM.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 
aqua001

A picture would help. Keep going with the aq salt because that should help the rot. The blister, I am not so sure of because your water changes are up to date. Try to test the water and hopefully a more expeirianced member can help you.

Edit: thejadebetta posted moments before me so the bloating prob is solved.

Last edited by aqua001; 04-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
wherewolf

TheJadeBetta, I'm pretty sure it's not dropsy because thank goodness, he doesn't look 'pinecone-y'. I'll try picking up some more antifungal here pretty soon, hopefully he gets better.

The sore does look a bit cotton-like, I think. It did at one point, anyways.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 
wherewolf

aqua001, thanks for the help! I'm just as puzzled as you are :P
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 
wherewolf

Finally got some pictures, he's a little unwilling to be photographed, and my phone is temperamental without the right lighting.

This is the only half decent picture I have of him when I got him...

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  37.1 KB

And two pictures that I just took.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  60.5 KB
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #7 
TheJadeBetta

Doesn't look like fin rot. But that coral rock with the spiny looking pieces look like they have torn his fins up.

The whitish spot. I am not sure...It looks like a wound.

I would remove the coral rock with the spiny thing. That could be hurting him. I suggest getting some silk plants and you can use a coffee cup as a hide.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #8 
wherewolf

I took the coral out and replaced it with a little silk plant, and I've started treating him with Maracyn. No improvements yet, although after fasting him his belly is back to normal.

The white spot on the fin is where the black bump (same as his coloring) formed, then burst. Still not sure what it is, though.